Question

Has anyone in our group upgraded from 10.2.anything to Kinetic 2022.x?

• 3 March 2023
  • 7 replies

Userlevel 3

Has anyone in our group upgraded from 10.2.anything to Kinetic 2022?  If so, would you be willing to share your experience with the upgrade?  We’re interested in any aspects that you’re willing to share!

Regards,

7 replies

In a test environment.  Currently gearing up to go live though.

Initially worked with Ben Nixon to get it set up.

The Kinetic test environment is running alongside our live E10 instance on the sql & app servers.  On the SQL side, it’s basically just adding a new database.  On the app server side, the Kinetic admin console can be set up to also manage existing E10 instances.

An (overly simplified) upgrade consists of restoring an E10 backup to the Kinetic database and running the necessary conversions.

Hope this is somewhat helpful.  Let me know if you need more info.

-John

Userlevel 1

We’ve been running on 2022.2.x since January.  I found that the process was relatively painless and quick.  Fortunately, this one doesn’t have any of the large-scale technology shifts that have ocurred over the last couple of new releases.  (8 → 9,  9 → 10)   I was expecting the 10-12 hour minimum for the upgrade process that we had from 9 to 10 and it ended up taking about 2 hours.  We are still using the classic interface and haven’t run into any problems with lack of support.   

SSO works much better than it did before, but you do need to update the config file.   Be careful to setup the task agent correctly for SSO if you will be using it.

Happy to talk more if you have any further questions.

John Hatcher

Userlevel 3

@jpmahala and @johnh 

Thanks for your replies back in March.  We have finally resolved a SQL Server licensing issue with Epicor and now are revitalizing our plan to upgrade to Kinetic.  We probably will land on K2022.2 but have not ruled out upgrading to K2023.1, if we see some new or improved functionality in the latter that would sway us to go that far.  In the last two months, have either of you discovered any significant issues with your K2022 environments?

Regards,

Userlevel 3

@jpmahala and @johnh 

Thanks for your replies back in March.  We have finally resolved a SQL Server licensing issue with Epicor and now are revitalizing our plan to upgrade to Kinetic.  We probably will land on K2022.2 but have not ruled out upgrading to K2023.1, if we see some new or improved functionality in the latter that would sway us to go that far.  In the last two months, have either of you discovered any significant issues with your K2022 environments?

Regards,

If you have not started yet, i would definitely target to 2023.1 instead of 2022… reason is that in 2023.1 we built in many enhancements to the new Kinetic Browser based interface that makes it much more usable and reliable to use. nearly all customer comments about the changes have been very positive. We have several webinars that have been recorded on the 2023.1 UI/UX fixes that you should check out.

Userlevel 3

@tshoemaker 

Thanks, Tim.  Could you please provide links to the webinars or advise where to find them?

Regards,

Userlevel 2

Dear Scott, 

I’ve upgraded two environments, two separate Site IDs, from 10.2.700 to K22.1.10 and the testing revealed no issues within the modules licensed.  This would not include AMM, Enhanced Quality, or Product Configurator.  The only disappointment was that the multi-level “get details from quote” bug where some operations are missing, and some materials from subassemblies are duplicated at Asm 0, was either still there, or had gotten fixed and unfixed by .10.

Even the company’s extensive ASP integration worked flawlessly, an indication that between the two releases, Epicor didn’t move or rename fields.  I advised the companies to hold off on “Kinetic” screen implementation (now called Epicor Application Studio) until they go through testing with 2023, for the same reason given by Tim: he has overseen massive layout improvements between ‘22 and ‘23, so it wouldn’t do to invest either muscle memory or customization into the ‘22 screens.  Both companies are continuing to use their WinForms screens for now.

HTH

Monty.

Userlevel 3

@MontyWilson  @tshoemaker 

Thank you, Tim and Monty, for the feedback.  Tim, were you referring to the following webinars?  If not, could you point me to the webinars that you meant?

https://www.epicor.com/en-us/resources/events/customers/browser-ux-enhancements-kinetic/

https://www.epicor.com/en-us/resources/events/customers/kinetic-browser-ux-enhancements-financials/

Regards,