Question

Getting legacy serial numbers into Epicor for Service Calls

• 21 September 2022
  • 3 replies

We are working through Service Calls in Epicor. We have the part setup for serial tracking and the correct mask.

The Issue: When I create a service call and enter in my part number, it is looking for a serial number. The service part was manufactured in the Legacy system and has a serial number that is not in Epicor. What is the best method for getting this old serial number in the system. We can create the service call without selecting a serial number that doesn’t exist.

3 replies

Hi,

We use serialization on our pumps and we bring our pumps back in for repairs.  We do not use Service calls however, so IDK about implications with those.  When we sell our pumps we have serial masking on the part numbers, which provides ability to create serial numbers for parts (pumps) mfd on jobs and select to ship them.  However, when we do work on returned pumps, we use a “Repair Pump” placeholder part for all repairs and we have that “Repair Pump” part’s serialization set to alphanumeric.  This allows entry of returned pumps to us in RMA entry and receipt and disposition of the “Repair Pump” to a repair job associated with a sales order line “Repair Pump”.  Our accounting likes this because then sales Order lines for pump part numbers are easily identifiable/separated from repair sales order lines.  In serial number tracker when a serial number is retrieved, we can see both the original part number and the repair number and all associated transactions per below 2nd screenshot.

Alternately, you could consider DMTing legacy serial numbers.  I have found the below (first screenshot) DMT works for creating new serial numbers.

Nancy

Userlevel 3

We also do not use service calls or field service for bringing serialized items back in for repairs.

We do an RMA and Sales order.

When a legacy SN comes in, we do SN Maintenance to create the old SN in the new system.

Userlevel 1

Hi-

We use DMT if the qty is large. You could grab all of your legacy SNs and DMT them all in. For RMA, when you click on the serial number button it brings up the common serial number entry popup. There is the ability in that popup to create an SN. Not sure if it is the same for FS but the SN popup screen is almost identical throughout Epicor. Have a look.

-Nick