Upgrade Epicor 10.1.500.46 to Kinetic 2022.2

• 6 October 2022
  • 9 replies

Hello everyone.
We are planning an upgrade of our system from Epicor 10.1.500.46 to Kinetic 2022.2 with the assistance of Epicor.
Has anyone done anything similar?
In particular, we would be interested in what tests you performed pre and post upgrade so we may incorporate some elements if we have missed them out.
All/any advice or pointers would be welcome.
Thank you,
Stuart.
IT Systems Controller.

9 replies

Userlevel 3

I have a checklist to validate the following data between the current version and new version:

• Year-end GL balances for each fiscal year within Epicor
  • Aged Accounts Payable balance
  • Aged Accounts Receivable balance
  • Stock Status (inventory value)
  • Sales Backlog (Order value)
  • Open Purchase Orders

After these reports are validated to be equal between both versions of Epicor, then the system is made available to the user community to perform their validation.  I also run a DMT to update the user status to “Disabled” in the old version of Epicor, for all but a very select few users, so data does not get updated in that version, instead of the new version.

User community validation usually consists of checking screen data and running a few reports, dashboards, etc.  Each department is different based on what they are responsible for.

Good luck.

Hi Glenn,

Thank you for your insight - I shall be sure to check those points.

Stuart.

Userlevel 3

NP.  Hope this is helpful.  If the Year-End G/L balances are equal, that is a good indicator that the G/L balances have copied over correctly and your G/L is intact.

The other item to watch out for, is the System Agent.  If you are leaving the old environment active, until a you have a good handle that all of the data has migrated properly, and you have a select few users that can still access the old version, then you want to turn off the System Agent.

The Scheduled jobs in the old environment will continue to run as per their schedule, so if you have BAQ’s that extract data to XML or CSV files, they will have the same output file names as the files that will be created from the new version of Epicor.  You could be overwriting new data with old data.

You can get around this by stopping the agents for the old environment on the Epicor App Server, but this will not allow anyone to sign onto this environment.  I usually go to the System Agent screen and simply delete the scheduled items within the old environment.

Glenn - I hadn’t considered the scheduled jobs! That would have been confusing. Thanks again.

Userlevel 3

Sory that I keep adding to your list Stuart, but do you use any custom Electronic Interface programs to upload data to financial institutions?

If so, you will need to copy those from your old environment to the new environment.  They do not automatically get copied over.

Any custom G/L Posting Rules in your current Epicor environment?  If so, you will need to validate they copied over properly and still work.  If they did not, you will have to contact Epicor to get one of their Consultants (only a few are good with G/L Posting Rules), to recreate them in your new environment.  They have full schedules, so book them early if you think you need them.

We are also planning an upgrade from 10.1.200 to Kinetic next year.  Things that we have identified to check include: - 

SQL reports and views, should still work as the tables are unchanged but apparently some schemas are different, so need to validate

Any BPM, dashboard, or customisation in the system

Any screen modifications

Printing routines and allocations linked to UserID

Check posting rules

There’s bound to be more that we haven’t thought about !

Hi Glenn, more than happy for you to keep giving! Yes, we have “EDT” for bank payments - so I’ll keep an eye on that. Fortunatly, we don’t have any custom GL posting rules.

Stuart.

Hello a.webb. We too have SQL reports to of which have been identified as a problem. I am expecting the majority of my time to be on tweaking BPMs, reports and the likes.

Hello All,

I am running on Kinetic 2021.1.8 planning to upgrade to 2022.2.xx.

Do you run testing on the same server or separate and any issue you have while testing?

Thanks, Christopher