Question

Auto Job Completion/Closing causing Non-Qty Bearing on hand to go negative

• 1 December 2021
  • 4 replies

Userlevel 2

Has anyone had any experience with the Auto Job Completion and/or Auto Job Closing processes causing non-Qty Bearing parts to go negative on hand?

We have some nuts/bolts/etc. that we have set up as not Quantity Bearing (and Non-Stock = False) because they are VMI, but we are seeing something weird where some of these parts are still going negative on hand. Through trial and error with one part, it appears to me that it is the Auto Job Completion or Closing process that is causing this to happen, because a backflush or mass issue of the parts to the job by any other means is not causing the inventory to go negative. 

I’ve got a case open with EpicCare on this and am trying some things to try to pinpoint the root cause, but am hoping someone else has seen this and knows what causes it.

4 replies

Hi David, if you have Non-Stock as “False” then they would be Stock items. It’s a double negative and not intuitive, but Non-Stock = True is the state I believe you are after.

Thanks

Shawn

Userlevel 1

Also any backflush of materials--whether regular backflush or Kanban--overrides part class setup and allows the part to go negative. Seems like a dumb exception to me but that is how it works.

Userlevel 2

Hi David, if you have Non-Stock as “False” then they would be Stock items. It’s a double negative and not intuitive, but Non-Stock = True is the state I believe you are after.

Thanks

Shawn

That’s kind of what I was thinking it could be, too. Problem is that in our testing before setting these up this way, making them non-stock caused MRP to not properly create the jobs requiring this particular material. So we had to go with making them stock for that to work. And it’s not happening with every part, even though they are set up exactly the same way.

Userlevel 2

Also any backflush of materials--whether regular backflush or Kanban--overrides part class setup and allows the part to go negative. Seems like a dumb exception to me but that is how it works.

Right, but why would the scheduled Auto Job Completion/Closing process--making parts go negative--be any different from any other user processing the backflush--parts don’t go negative? (Again, assuming that’s what happening, which it really seems to be.)

Trying to get to the root cause for why sometimes it happens and other times it doesn’t. If it was consistent then it should be easier to determine.