Question

Controlling the Inventory Adjustment account used for cycle count variances, physical inventory variances, cost variances created during the mfg-stk transaction

• 11 October 2022
  • 4 replies

We want cost adjustments (adj-cst) created when an mfg-stk transaction to point to a different g/l account than quantity adjustments. Is there a way to specify a reason code for these transactions as opposed to the system using the gl control for Inventory COS in the company configuration record?

For cycle count variances & physical inventory variances - is there a way to specify a reason code as opposed to the system using the gl control code in company configuration?

4 replies

Userlevel 1

Hi Luann-

Yes. This would all be done through reason code maintenance. You can setup separate reason codes with specific GL codes to be used for each of these instances. I believe these would all fall under Inv.Adjustment type  reason code. Under there you will see a checkbox for “Count Discrepancy Reason”. It’s been a while but I believe if you check this it will show up in the pick list for cycle count reason. 

-Nick

Thank you for your response. Yes, I see the option for cycle count and physical.

But, what about transactions through the Job Adjustment form. It doesn’t prompt for a reason code in this screen. Both the subcontract adjustments and material adjustments appear to use the Inventory Adjustment field in the GL control, and neither appear to give me option for a reason code.

Also, when a mfg-stk transaction is created, there can be a corresponding adj-cst transaction. I can’t find a way to specify reason code (to control the inventory adjustment account used).

Userlevel 3

There is always the option of customizing posting rules.

Recommend  having an experienced consultant do this as the process is far from intuitive, and can lead to unbalanced (unpostable) transactions if you do it wrong.

Userlevel 4

Dear Luann, 

If you only need to substitute one reason code for another, under specific circumstances, that would be possible with a BPM, which might involve less risk and less cost than the development of custom posting rules.

HTH

.Monty.