Solved

Creating inventory quantity adjustments from a stock count dashboard

• 6 January 2023
  • 6 replies

Userlevel 1

Happy new year to all.

I have created an updateable stock count dashboard (we don’t use the standard Epicor stock counting process as it is too cumbersome) which gives part number, warehouse, bin, on hand qty, etc. and allows the user to record the actual quantity and thus returns any stock discrepancy. My boss would like me to take this one stage further if at all possible, and have the discrepancies post as inventory quantity adjustments from the dashboard, instead of having to do them manually.

I think this should be possible using the InventoryQtyAdj adapter, and I have been experimenting with it. I have been able to get the code to call the appropriate InventoryQtyAdj business methods, but so far I have been unsuccessful in getting the info from the dashboard into the ttInventoryQtyAdj record. I get an exception message saying “ttInventoryQtyAdj record not found” every time.

Has anyone successfully achieved this, and be kind enough to share tips and/or code?

ERP 10.2.700

icon

Best answer by pgoodhew 17 January 2023, 17:29

View original

6 replies

Userlevel 2

Great idea. Would also like to try this. Do not use the standard count process for the same reason and enter discrepancies  manually. Unfortunately Have no help. Good luck.

Userlevel 2

I’ve not tried an updatable dashboard for inventory adjustments, but have used a DMT-based approach using two steps:

• A query dumps on-hand inventory into a DMT-formatted table to adjust out all balances.
  • The count is placed into a DMT-formatted table to adjust in each count.

No customization required with this approach.

You mentioned using the “InventoryQtyAdj adapter” in the dashboard. Are you doing this in a screen customization on top of the dashboard? You can do the customization in the Update section of the underlying query, where you have BPM capabilities.

Below is part of an updatable query where I’ve done an issue material to job. You might look at it for reference in figuring out how to do the adjustment.

YMMV. :-)

Joe

// issue material

bool requiresUserInput = false;
bool qtyTransacted = false;

string message1 = "";
string message2 = "";

Erp.Contracts.IssueReturnSvcContract issueReturn = Ice.Assemblies.ServiceRenderer.GetService<Erp.Contracts.IssueReturnSvcContract>(this.Db, true);

foreach(var ttIssueReturn_xRow in (from row in dsIssueReturn.IssueReturn
where row.Company == Session.CompanyID 
select row))
{
  ttIssueReturn_xRow.RowMod = "U";

issueReturn.OnChangeToJobNum(ref dsIssueReturn, "IssueMaterial", out message2);

issueReturn.OnChangeToAssemblySeq(ref dsIssueReturn, "IssueMaterial");

ttIssueReturn_xRow.ToJobSeq = (int)callContextBpmData.Number03;
  issueReturn.OnChangingToJobSeq((int)callContextBpmData.Number03, ref dsIssueReturn);
  issueReturn.OnChangeToJobSeq(ref dsIssueReturn, "IssueMaterial", out message2);

ttIssueReturn_xRow.TranQty = callContextBpmData.Number02;
  issueReturn.OnChangeTranQty(ttIssueReturn_xRow.TranQty, ref dsIssueReturn);

ttIssueReturn_xRow.PartNum = callContextBpmData.ShortChar02;
  ttIssueReturn_xRow.ToJobPartNum = callContextBpmData.ShortChar05;
  ttIssueReturn_xRow.ToJobSeqPartNum = callContextBpmData.ShortChar02;
  issueReturn.OnChangePartNum(ref dsIssueReturn, "IssueMaterial");

ttIssueReturn_xRow.FromWarehouseCode = callContextBpmData.ShortChar03;
  issueReturn.OnChangeFromWarehouse(ref dsIssueReturn, "IssueMaterial");

ttIssueReturn_xRow.FromBinNum = callContextBpmData.ShortChar04;

issueReturn.OnChangeFromBinNum(ref dsIssueReturn);

if (callContextBpmData.ShortChar06 != String.Empty)
  {
    ttIssueReturn_xRow.LotNum = callContextBpmData.ShortChar06;

issueReturn.OnChangeLotNum(callContextBpmData.ShortChar06, ref dsIssueReturn);

}
  qtyTransacted = true;
}

if (qtyTransacted)
{
  issueReturn.PrePerformMaterialMovement(ref dsIssueReturn, out requiresUserInput);

issueReturn.PerformMaterialMovement(true, ref dsIssueReturn, out message1, out message2);
}

// reset line
var resultQuery = queryResultDataset.Results
    .Where(row => !string.IsNullOrEmpty(row.RowMod) && row.RowMod != "P");

string jobNum = "";
int assemblySeq = 0;
int mtlSeq = 0;
string warehouseCode = "";
string binNum = "";
string lotNum = "";

foreach (var ttResult in resultQuery)
{
  if (qtyTransacted)
  {
    jobNum = ttResult.JobMtl_JobNum;
    assemblySeq = ttResult.JobMtl_AssemblySeq;
    mtlSeq = ttResult.JobMtl_MtlSeq;
    warehouseCode = ttResult.PartBin_WarehouseCode;
    binNum = ttResult.PartBin_BinNum;
    lotNum = ttResult.PartBin_LotNum;
  }
}

foreach (var ttResult in queryResultDataset.Results)
{
  ttResult.RowMod = "";
}

Userlevel 1

Hi Joe,

Thanks for the input. A DMT-based solution might be the way to go if I can’t get the InventoryQtyAdj code to work. In answer to your question, yes, my code is written in the customisation layer of the dashboard.

Kind regards,

Peter

Userlevel 1

I love the idea of updatable dashboard. We don’t use regular cycle counting for the same reasons. It is more about financial controls than counting inventory.

We do have a dashboard the shows bin, lot and qty. We filter it by product groups and inventory level below a selectable qty. That allows our inventory team to count parts when we are low on them. Much easier to count 200 pc. than 40,000.

Same issue here.  What I have done tough is exported the inventory in partbin, qty counted is loaded and we calculate the variance.   This has been done more for a physical count but would work for cycle also.  In this case only the adjustments are loaded in as the inventory adjustment.

I can share the spreadsheet(s) if that helps.  

Userlevel 1

For those still following this thread, I have come up with a solution based around DMT. Still in Pilot, but pretty much finalised now. It involves 2 stages, first we create a DMT-compatible CSV file from a button-click action on the dashboard and writte this to a specific Windows directory. Second, a batch command file that contains the DMT command line is run on a Windows schedule to import the CSV file.

OK, here are the details…

First, in the button-click script we need to define a few variables and then iterate through our dashboard results:

var csvLines = new StringBuilder(); //holds the CSV lines we want to write
        string serialList = string.Empty; //holds info on any serial-tracked parts that can’t be adjusted programatically

int qtyAdjRowCount = 0; //keeps track of how many rows are valid for a qty adjustment
        int serialRowCount = 0; //keeps track of how many rows are serial-tracked
        EpiDataView edvMyDataView = (EpiDataView)(oTrans.EpiDataViews["V_DKHstockCount_1View1"]);
        foreach (DataRow row in edvMyDataView.dataView.Table.Rows)
        {

OK, now for each row we need to decide if we are going to do a quantity adjustment or not. In my dashboard there is a field called Discrepency (yes, I know I misspelled it!) that performs a simple subtraction on the physical count quantity that the user enters and the On Hand quantity for that part, warehouse and bin. If this is non-zero and the part is not serial-tracked we add this to csvLines. If the part is serial tracked and has a non-zero discrepancy we need to keep track of it by adding the details to serialList so we can alert the user in the next step…

if (Convert.ToInt32(row["Calculated_Discrepency"]) != 0)
                {
                    var fldCompany = row["Part_Company"].ToString();
                    var fldPlant = row["PlantWhse_Plant"].ToString();
                    var fldPartNum = row["Part_PartNum"].ToString();
                    var fldAdjustQty = row["Calculated_Discrepency"].ToString();
                    var fldUOM = row["Part_IUM"].ToString();
                    var fldWarehouse = row["PartWhse_WarehouseCode"].ToString();
                    var fldBinNum = row["Calculated_BinNumber"].ToString();
                    var fldReason = "DISCR";
                    var fldSerial = (bool)row["Part_TrackSerialNum"];
                    if (fldSerial == false)
                    {
                        var newLine = string.Format("{0},{1},{2},{3},{4},{5},{6},{7}", fldCompany, fldPlant, fldPartNum, fldAdjustQty, fldUOM, fldWarehouse, fldBinNum, fldReason);
                        csvLines.AppendLine(newLine);
                        qtyAdjRowCount ++;
                    }
                    if (fldSerial == true)
                    {
                        serialList = serialList + '\n' + "Part: " + fldPartNum + " Warehouse: " + fldWarehouse + " Bin: " + fldBinNum + " Adjust Qty: " + fldAdjustQty + " " + fldUOM;
                        serialRowCount ++;
                    }
                }

Now, we’ve got all the info we need to write the CSV file, so we close the iteration and proceed thus:

if (qtyAdjRowCount > 0)
        {
            var filePath = @"\\dk-epicor10\DMT-Autorun\Queue\InvQtyAdjPilot.csv";
            if (File.Exists(filePath))
            {
                File.AppendAllText(filePath, csvLines.ToString());
            }
            else
            {
                var csvHeader = string.Format("{0},{1},{2},{3},{4},{5},{6},{7}", "Company", "Plant", "PartNum", "AdjustQuantity", "UnitOfMeasure", "WareHseCode", "BinNum", "ReasonCode");
                var csvFile = csvHeader + '\n' + csvLines;
                File.WriteAllText(filePath, csvFile.ToString());
            }
        }

So what this does is it checks to see if the named CSV file already exists in the named directory and if it does it appends csvLines to it. If not, the file is created with a header string plus csvLines. If we picked up any serial-tracked parts that need adjusting we have to alert the user in the next step. I have chosen to simply throw this up as a MessageBox message, thus:

if (serialRowCount > 0)
        {
            MessageBox.Show("The following quantity adjustments could not be made because the parts are serial tracked:" + '\n' + serialList);
        }

I should also mention that you will need to include some sort of control to prevent duplication if the user clicks the button twice. I have chosen to add a couple of UD fields to PartWhse and use these to control the workflow in the dashboard. This should be done within the iteration through the relevant dashboard rows:

row.BeginEdit();
                row["PartWhse_CountInProg_c"] = false;
                row["PartWhse_CountComplete_c"] = true;
                row["RowMod"] = "U";
                row.EndEdit();

Now we are ready to import the CSV file. I have created a shared directory on our ERP10 server called \DMT-Autorun, with the subdirectories \Queue, Process and \Logs. The code above writes the CSV file to \Queue and then my batch file, when the schedule calls for it to be run, moves it to \Process and runs the DMT command on it. Any logs produced are written to \Logs. This is the code I used…

@echo off
if exist e:\DMT-Autorun\Queue\InvQtyAdjPilot.csv goto RUNDMT
goto END

:RUNDMT
move e:\DMT-Autorun\Queue\InvQtyAdjPilot.csv e:\DMT-Autorun\Process\
e:
cd \Epicor\ERP10\LocalClients\EpicorERPPilot
DMT.exe -NoUI=True -Import="Quantity Adjustment" -Source=e:\DMT-Autorun\Process\InvQtyAdjPilot.csv -Add=True -Update=False -user=manager -pass=[your manager password] -ConnectionUrl="net.tcp://localhost/EpicorERPPilot"
cd \DMT-Autorun\Process\
if exist DMT_NoUIImport_Error.log rename DMT_NoUIImport_Error.log "InvQtyAdjPilot-%date:~6,4%-%date:~3,2%-%date:~0,2%-%time:~0,2%%time:~3,2%%time:~6,2%-FileErrors.txt"
if exist InvQtyAdjPilot.csv.CompleteLog.txt rename InvQtyAdjPilot.csv.CompleteLog.txt "InvQtyAdjPilot-%date:~6,4%-%date:~3,2%-%date:~0,2%-%time:~0,2%%time:~3,2%%time:~6,2%-CompleteLog.txt"
if exist InvQtyAdjPilot.csv.Errors.txt rename InvQtyAdjPilot.csv.Errors.txt "InvQtyAdjPilot-%date:~6,4%-%date:~3,2%-%date:~0,2%-%time:~0,2%%time:~3,2%%time:~6,2%-Errors.txt"
if exist InvQtyAdjPilot.csv.Errors.Reprocess.csv rename InvQtyAdjPilot.csv.Errors.Reprocess.csv "InvQtyAdjPilot-%date:~6,4%-%date:~3,2%-%date:~0,2%-%time:~0,2%%time:~3,2%%time:~6,2%-Errors.Reprocess.csv"
del InvQtyAdjPilot.csv
move InvQtyAdjPilot* \DMT-Autorun\Logs\
exit

:END
exit

I hope this helps.