Question

Creating lower level BOM 'phantom' items

• 4 December 2020
  • 3 replies

Currently, all parts in our system are either classed as M(Make) or P(Purchased)

Can we create another part class which would be a phantom item i.e. would exist as a reference only have had no impact on MRP/Planning/Scheduling/BOM Cost Rollups?   We need this in situations where for example we purchase a range of machined castings - a common lower level casting but then machined to create a number of variants which we purchase.  We have tried adding the lower level cast item ( classed as P )  as a sub-part of the purchased machined part also this is not ideal as (a) we have to remember that it's not actually a purchased item and (b) our BOM cost rollup process stops working correctly - it excludes the standard cost of the purchased machined item entirely. What we need is to be able to include the lower level -  but as a ‘phantom’ non-purchased item which does not stop the cost rollup process working and creates no demand within MRP etc.  Appreciate any suggestions!

3 replies

you either make or purchase those machined castings.  I think what you want to do is set the BOM qty per parent to zero.  that will make it appear in the BOM but not drive demand or roll up into the cost. 

We have parts that contain material, but we don’t want that material to roll up in a cost roll up or be picked up by MRP for purchasing or jobs. This method is only for parts that contain ONLY material that is not to be included in the above items (we really don’t have any that are a mixture).

Assume you have part 123-4567 which contains part 456-7890, but part 456-7890 is the part you don’t want to include in the rollup of 123-4567.

Create 456-7890. On the sites tab, uncheck generate PO Suggestions. On the Planning tab, uncheck Process MRP.

On the Part Details tab for part 123-4567, make the part type manufactured, and check Phantom BOM in the Default Site Parameters. 

This will exclude part 456-7890 from the cost rollup for 123-4567, and keep MRP from trying to add it to jobs.

Let me know if this doesn’t make sense, and I can send you screen shots!

Thanks both of you.  Will try out these suggestions today.