Question

E9 to Kinetic migration

• 28 September 2021
  • 9 replies

Has anyone here successfully migrated from E9 (9.05.702A) to Kinetic? I’ve been working with Epicor for about a month now trying to migrate the database and continue to get errors. If anyone has completed this type of migration, I would be interested in finding out some information to see if it is worth any more time or if I should just upgrade to E10.

Thanks

9 replies

Userlevel 1

Hi, 

We have done a few upgrades for customers moving from Vantage and the same version of Epicor you have mentioned  up to 10.2.600 and 10.2.700, so close but not quite the same. 

The Cirrus upgrade toolset may be something that is worth looking at. It is a cost effective way of upgrading and deals with a lot of the upgrade issues you may encounter that become a time sink.

Hi,

I haven’t done it myself, we started at 10.0.700 and have slowly worked our way up through the various  versions..

That being said, E9 (9.05.702A) to Kinetic is a hell of a jump, I would try to find a way to step through the versions, e.g. 10, then 10.1 then 10.2.

I know it’s more work but at least that way each database upgrade could be done at the correct stage and it might not fall over.

I’ve found that Epicor is usually more forgiving if you work your way through the steps it wants you to LOL

I Hope this helps :relaxed:  

Hi,

I haven’t done it myself, we started at 10.0.700 and have slowly worked our way up through the various  versions..

That being said, E9 (9.05.702A) to Kinetic is a hell of a jump, I would try to find a way to step through the versions, e.g. 10, then 10.1 then 10.2.

I know it’s more work but at least that way each database upgrade could be done at the correct stage and it might not fall over.

I’ve found that Epicor is usually more forgiving if you work your way through the steps it wants you to LOL

Chris,

I had hopes for this migration as Epicor has a 200+ page migration document to go by :flushed: . An interim database is created during the process to migrate Progress to SQL. I don’t mind running into errors, the issue I have is how long it takes to get resolution of them. I know it is old tech so I anticipate longer response times than usual. 

I might end up just going to 10 and then going to Kinetic eventually

Hi,

Chris,

I had hopes for this migration as Epicor has a 200+ page migration document to go by :flushed: . An interim database is created during the process to migrate Progress to SQL. I don’t mind running into errors, the issue I have is how long it takes to get resolution of them. I know it is old tech so I anticipate longer response times than usual. 

I might end up just going to 10 and then going to Kinetic eventually

If the migration has failed a couple of times or you are running into errors that aren’t easily fixed, then its probably best to just go the long way round. 

Epicor documentation is good but it doesn’t always cover everything.

For info, we run 10.2.700.24 and its pretty stable. As for Kinetic, I’m hearing mixed things from people.

For some its great, others not so much.

If it was me, I would go to the latest 10.2 and then give it a few months, but that's just me.

Hope it goes well :relaxed:

Userlevel 2

We are currently going through an new implementation of Kinetic. We are on 9.05.700C and we used the Cirrus Upgrade process to migrate our initial data to start with. Whilst it did throw up some errors, these were expected by EPICOR (Changes between progress field setups and SQL setups etc..)

We are now doing a full blown new implementation so wont be using the Cirrus Upgrade process again i don’t believe.

I think that sounds like the best option, I hope it goes well.

Are you doing to export old data and then reimport using DMT? or just start from a clean slate?

Userlevel 2

All ‘Live’ data will be imported via DMT which will enable us to only take over what we need to and from a financial point of view start from a clean slate. We have roughly 20 years of data on the system which may or may not be correct!

That sounds great. good luck :relaxed:

Userlevel 4

Dear D. LeClair,

Let me add my voice in support of Epicor Cloud Upgrade (slightly confusing name since it works great for on-prem customers) aka Cirrus Project upgrade team.  Hopefully that’s what you mean when you say you’ve been working with Epicor.

I’ve used them twice; once to go from 9.05.702a to 10.1 and again to go from there to 10.2.300.  Based on my experience, I would definitely use them again.  I wouldn’t hesitate to go straight from 9 to 10.2, load it in your test environment and take it through conference room pilot testing.  I would recommend caution with 2021 at this stage but that’s just me.  We’re not early adopters and tend to wait until the .200 or .300 release of a new major upgrade before taking it into test. 

After my last project with that team they appeared to change the rules, such that the customized output database would only be available on the first pass, not the second or third passes.  We had lots of custom features and needed this; if doing the project today I would make sure this issue has been corrected before signing anything.

Your user community is here to assist; that includes me.  Please let us know how we can help.

Best,

……...Monty.