Question

End User Training

• 12 August 2022
  • 7 replies

Hi All,

How have people managed with end user training?

Mainly, getting commitment from the users whilst still maintaining continued business processes.

Did you have a dedicated trainer/team?

Any other hints or tips would be appreciated.

7 replies

We’ve tried everything :)  

Epicor Tropos’s support use short video clips, so that’s our next plan! 

(Monday.com’s support recommend loom.com for this, but unfortunately their free version doesn’t password protect the videos :(

Userlevel 4

Have you looked @ EKM where you can create custom video/guided learning etc. based on your own processes?

Management support to communicate importance and make attendance mandatory to weekly Team/Dept meetings.  No one has time, this sets aside time, use a well thought out plan/itinerary, cut the fluff, have a goal and an end date for the reoccurring meetings, skip short weeks due to holidays or the toughest week (i.e. for actg, don’t schedule meetings on last week of each month), at each meeting reiterate the outcome possibilities, time savings, and any benefits - immediate and future.

Userlevel 1

For us, there were three key things that I think made a big difference:

1. Management support and direction. Someone at the C level telling all users that the transition is important and must happen is a big key
  2. Training and support from subject matter experts. We had representatives from each department on a core team that learned as much of their area of ERP as possible which put them in a position to answer questions and provide direction to users in their departments
  3. Clear, written, step by step procedures for people to follow. We made a few videos that people really seemed to like, but those were just more time-consuming so we didn’t do a lot of them, but if we were doing it again, I would try to do more of those

I’m looking into the Epicor Learning Center.  They have standard roles and agendas.  You can update agendas to suit your environment, then assign the agenda to a role.  It tracks due dates, you can assign tests too.  There is an option to add company specific training and tests too.  

Of course there is training on setting up the training - all my assignments are past due since I haven’t been able to devote the time to it yet. 

The employees get a dashboard with all their assignments and due dates. It’s self paced so something a new hire can do on their own rather than tying up a subject matter expert for the full training.  Adding your company specific training here helps transition tribal knowledge to a consistent experience.

One thing I like about it is Epicor is committed to keeping the training material up to date.  If you don’t veer severely from the out of the box functionality it should alleviate a lot of the procedure/training updates as you upgrade.

Jenn

Userlevel 4

The only thing that i would say about the Epicor online training is that it is “vanilla” processes, so if you have any customizations/bpms/exceptions to standard then the users would not be aware of these

For production floor activities, we have built out training in EKM. The nice thing about it is that it allows our production supervisors to help facilitate the training along with HR or others who may not always be as familiar with Epicor. It also gives us away to have documentation that the user has completed the training before giving out employee log-ins. To manage all of this, one of the ERP IT team is responsible for managing the content. Earlier on it took up more time, now we just manage changes which isn’t a lot of time.

For the office activities or desktop activities, we have a mix of Epicor standard written EUPs and SME/Super User written EUPs. There’s a good podcast from EpiUsers.Help where they talk about how they keep their EUPs up to date by having new hires use them. We use these to write up our test plans for upgrades and request for the users to provide feedback if anything has changed or is out of date. We also do not introduce any new functionality without documentation so we make sure something is written up.

Some of our IT team has used the education online offered by Epicor but it’s harder for our other team members to make the leap from what they see in the training environment to what is in our own given the form customizations and other requirements that we have specific to our business.