Question

forecasting package

Userlevel 2

What tools or packages are users using and how do you like it?

Looking at Smart and just trying to check feedback

3 replies

We are a medium sized dental equipment manufacturer and use Forecast PRO for our S&OP process.

It is a lower cost option than Smart.

They provide much on-line training and free webinars that are extremely useful. 

We have used if for many years with great success.

Userlevel 1

We use Smart. We have not yet upgraded to Smart IP&O but I’m trying to get it on our project list. We have a good relationship with the folks at Smart. They are helpful and easy to work with. Because we have a large amount of very volatile demand for some parts we initially chose Smart Forecasts over Forecast Pro. Smart allows you to run simulations rather than just forecasts for part and those work better with volatile demand. I

P&O does a number of things that I think would be a step up from the older product that we still use.​​​​​​ One of those is a direct integration with Epicor. That makes managing things easier. But it also gets you more granular data. Currently our data is exported monthly.  So if I sold 100 units last month, I don’t know if I sold 1 order @ 100 unit units or 50 orders @ 2 units. The forecast and more importantly the simulations against that data would be very different.

IP&O also allows easier management of data. For example it can calculate actual lead times and push those back into Epicor. I find the biggest challenge of any forecast is getting correct data to it. A vendor might tell us they have a 3 week lead time but seem to have 6 week lead time most of the time. Unless our purchasing team is monitoring it closely, then the forecast is against 3 weeks not 6. Having that more or less automated would be a big step for us.

I don’t know how you get to your forecasts. If you have a number of contributors (i.e. sales, operations etc.) IP&O makes it easier to combine multiple opinions with a calculated forecast and get to a single consensus forecast.

All that being said, having a forecast packing vs. winging it is a huge improvement. When we moved from spreadsheets to Smart Forecast, we saw a significant reduction in inventory and increase in service levels. The big caveat is that any package is only as good as the data you feed it. The hardest part for us was getting our own people to keep information accurate.

I’m happy to talk about it if you wish please feel free to DM  me.

We did *not* have a successful outcome from our engagement with Smart.  We moved back to Forecast Pro.  Feel free to contact me directly if you want to discuss.