Question

How to put a part's components back into inventory

• 29 November 2021
  • 8 replies

Userlevel 1

We have crates that are assembled and often times we end up needing to disassemble them and put the re-usable parts back into inventory. I cannot figure out how to do this. We don’t want to have to go back to the original job that created the crate in the first place as we don’t always know what job that was. 

Basically part A is made from B and C. How do I take A out of inventory and put B and C back into inventory without just doing quantity adjustments? There has to be a better way to capture this work. 

8 replies

Make a new job for B and have A as the raw material for the job. Then setup C as a co-part of B and you should be good to go.

Thanks

Shawn

Userlevel 1

Something goofy is going on with the job. I created the job for part B with part A as a raw material. Part C is a copart in the job. When I go to “end activity” on the job, the current quantity is greyed out and I am only allowed to enter a scrap or nonconformance quantity. Have you seen this before and can tell me what I might be doing wrong?

Userlevel 1

I found a resource that says I need to report through the report quantity screen instead of end activity with the coparts. When I try that, it won’t let me save. Parts B And A are serialized. Do you think that is what is causing me issues? 

Userlevel 2

On Time & Expense Entry there’s a separate CoParts tab to enter quantities for each and the quantity is grayed out on the main screen. I’d suspect the same thing exists in MES.

Joe

My advice would be not to use Co-parts as (to my knowledge) they don’t allow use of serialized components. Maybe you can add the parts you want as salvagable? So add the parts to the BOM as the Salvage process?? In that way you can bring back components that are serially tracked

Userlevel 4

Dear Michaela, 

Have you tried creating a job for the crate with the two source materials just as they are for a legit crate-building job, then doing a Return Material of the original two components, and issuing to one of the material records, the finished part number?  It would be in effect, a reverse job.  If it works, you could track them outside the system and do this Return Material procedure weekly or monthly.  You may need to close the Return Material job once a month and create a new one, if necessary to capture costs properly.

Another alternative might be to create a job which allows you to issue the finished crate, and to create one of the two components, and put in a zero quantity BOM entry, zero quantity of the other material.  Then you could do a Return Material or Return Salvage, to cause the inventory and cost to flow for the other of the two materials.

Whatever you try, remember to do it in a test environment first.

HTH

.Monty.

I guess my question is, if the part A and b are serialized, why can’t you find the original job??? In this case the only real path is likely through the DMR processing to properly handle the returned serial numbers, but it’s not a simple problem. 

Also, have they been shipped and returned, or are they in stock and require disassembly? This will make a difference as to how you would want to handle them as well.