Solved

Hung deployment - Ensure IIS user has file access

• 28 November 2022
  • 6 replies

We are currently running 10.2.700.x on some aging hardware and I’m trying to set up new Epicor server running the same version and every time I try to deploy my application server it hangs up on the “Ensure IIS user has file access” step.  I’ve tried with Windows 2019 and 2022,  both local VMware VM and even on an Azure VM.  The only commonality is they are all domain joined.  I’ve set up test servers plenty of times in the past, and I’m sure I did when we upgraded to this version a couple years ago. 

I have to imagine this is related to some sort of GPO security change since then but I can’t see anything that looks out of place.  Comparing the current server vs these new ones the policies are identical, but if it only affects new appservers it won’t matter.

I’ve seen a couple older posts on this in the archive and elsewhere but they suggestions there don’t help.  Anyone else run into this?

icon

Best answer by j.graham 28 November 2022, 23:26

View original

6 replies

Userlevel 3

You have to give the IUSR account full control on the c:\inetpub\ folder you are creating in the application deployment, I believe.

Agreed that the IUSR account needs appropriate permissions. I also had this happen recently, and in my case the EpicorData folder was large enough to cause a timeout. If you’re certain IIS is configured correctly there is an option to skip the IIS checks. Epicor support also suggested trying to relocate the files in the data folder to avoid the timeout, but skipping the checks worked for me.

IIS_IUSRS had modify on wwwroot already, bumping up to full control makes no different.  Granting IUSR full control likewise no change.

How do you skip the IIS checks when adding the appserver?

How long are you giving it? I have a similar issue, but it just takes ages but it does eventually get past this step.

The option should be towards the top of the Application Server Settings tab when in the App Server Config window, labeled “Skip IIS Related Configuration Steps”.

Thank you all for the help. I feel silly not catching it sooner but j. graham’s comment about large EpicorData folder was what I needed.  I didn’t think about updating the EpicorData folder to the new location, and it turns out my existing EpicorData folder had grown far too large (17GB mostly all small files). Scanning this folder over the network was just too much. About 10 hours was the longest I had left it, but once I had updated the EpicorData location in the DB it ran through that step in seconds.  Starting with an empty DB, deploying the appserver, and restoring would have worked as well.

I had a log rotation script for my MRP logs but I wasn’t watching buildup in the other folders and over they years they had grown out of hand.  I’ve cleaned it up to a much more reasonable size now, but I also now know I need to update it when restoring to the new server.