Question

Inspection Required?

• 6 October 2021
  • 7 replies

Userlevel 2

I think i am going mad. Has there ever been in EPICOR an Inspection Required tick box on Part Entry?

7 replies

Userlevel 1

This made me chuckle, we get asked for this all the time. 

It isn’t there standard I don’t believe. (Although there is a field on the part table called rcvinspectionreq)

It is against the Supplier, Part Class and can be manually set on a PO Release in standard. 

Userlevel 2

In my last company I am 100% sure we had it on Part Entry (Now this may be because of a Customisation or something (9.05.606)) Was it part of any additional module?

Userlevel 1

I’m not aware of a license, I have done a customisation before that has a checkbox on the part and then a BPM to populate the inspection required checkbox on a PO at the point a PO is raised for that part.

Hope that helps.

Userlevel 2

There is an “Inspection Required” check box on CLASS, not on part.

We had to create two RAW Material classes, one with Inspection and one without inspection check box.

cch

Check out the Inspection tab under Revisions in Part Maintenance where you tie Inspection Plans to a part revision.  The Application User Guide for 9.05.700 Chapter 16 says ‘When you associate inspection plans and specifications to a part or operation, the Inspection Required check box is automatically selected.’    The Enhanced Quality Assurance module may be required for certain functionality.  Maybe this was setup in your previous company?

In E10, I see a button on Part Maintenance for inspection required.  I do know that it didn't do anything (expected) until someone here wrote a BPM to check its status when a part is received.  My previous company relied on the Inspection Required status of the Part Class, so I don’t remember looking for it in E9.

thanks

Rick

Userlevel 2

I agree with others on here. There is no easy button to just check the box based on the part number. We struggled with this for awhile also. There is a field on Part table called RcvInspectionReq which matches the same syntax as what you see on the Part Class and Supplier. I didn’t realize it’s functionality was tied to the inspection plan - which makes sense. If you can’t get the “default” functionality to work, you could just expose that checkbox somewhere on the part master and write a BPM like others suggested to set the PO Release RcvInspectionReq. 

What our company ended up doing was putting this RcvInspectionReq flag on the PartRev table because we associate incoming inspection with specific revisions. This forced us to use revisions on POs, though, which we learned quickly didn’t always work well. Just in case anyone else stumbles across this: Revisions are only added to the PO Detail automatically when they are:

1. Being bought into the site that matches the site on the revision (I assume only applies if you’re multi-site).
  2. There must be at least one approved revision.
  3. The approved revision’s effective date is not after the due date. If there are multiple approved revisions, it will use the one with the most recent effective date before the PO due date.

The above rules also will be used by PO Suggestions. So when acting on the suggestions, if the above criteria were not met, the PO will be setup without a part revision - which will then ignore your Part Inspection requirement. 

I would say in the end that it ended up being a fairly straight forward BPM. The BPM looks at the PartRev table when the PO is saved and then sets the RcvInspectionReq flag to match the PartRev.