Kinetic Mobile Warehouse and Bartender Implementation

Userlevel 1

We are planning to implement Kinetic Mobile Warehouse and Bartender in Q3. We currently do not use handhelds at all. Is anyone willing to share their experiences related to the following: 

• Devices - recommendations for devices, tablets, or printers
  • Implementation timeline
  • Any potential issues or challenges we should watch out for
  • Was customization necessary? 

Thanks in advance for any feedback

9 replies

Userlevel 2

brenzema,

We implemented EKW in the spring of 2021.  We are primarly are using EKW for order picking and just starting to use EKW for inventory moves and picks for jobs.  We utilize fulfillment workbench to create material queue records.

Devices: we are using Honeywell EDA71s.  We like these units for thier price point and screen size.  We just receive 2 Honeywell CT45XPs to fill our need for a device with a longer range scanner.  We will be placing the CT45XPs in server in the next few weeks.

Customization:  We have not customzed EKW, we did implement a data directive on PartTran to automate Part Label Printing.  We also created a BPM to pop up a message on the handheld for certain part needs.  The BPM setup took a little assistance from Biscuit & Epicor.

Timeline:  We implemented EKW in 2-3 months with other changes to our order picking process.  We also implement outbound PCIDs as part of the process changes.

Issues\Challenges:  There are many settings and features in EKW on the devices.  Most of the settings are company wide and can be stored in a UD table to insure all the devices get the same settings.

Steven Duralde with Epicor is a great resource to assist in implementing EKW.

Mike

Userlevel 4

Having implemented both with customers what I would stress is that you need to make sure that your data is in good shape for EMWW:

1. Warehouse and bin records
  2. Part records - default warehouses and bins
  3. Allocation templates
  4. Material Queue transactions - if you have a load sitting there not processed you need to clear them out before going live with EMWW 

With regards to Bartender, don’t underestimate the amount of development time to get the labels/tags etc. exactly as users want

As for customization - from what I recall in EMWW there are very limited screen customization options available to you and is quite complicated to set up (for each single UD field in EMWW I think you needed to create 6 UD fields in Epicor)

As for hardware, I have always found Zebra printers sturdy and reliable and I run EMWW on an old Android phone when I train/demonstrate so I am pretty sure that anything Android based would work, it really depends on things like where it is being used, robustness etc.

We are looking into doing this as well so following this topic.

We are completing the internal ROI for MW and hope to implement by late July - tagging to follow this topic.

We are in the process of implementing the Kinetic Mobile Warehouse as well as AMM.  We hope to go live at the end of June.  We are using the Honeywell EDA 71’s as well and so far, we have not had any issues with the testing process.  

Did you lockdown the EDA71 home screen to run only Epicor Mobile Warehouse?

Yes, we did.

Userlevel 2

We use Datamax Mark IV printers if I remember correctly. We are just implementing Mobile Warehouse from Biscuit at one of our sites. We have Bartender and original Handheld implemented at several sites already. We use a 4x5 label for receipts when the item is received. The Datamax can use several different types of stock. We also use a small Zebra printer for barcode labeling warehouses. 

Were you able to use the EDA71 User Guide or did you have to get help from Epicor? I’ve done some testing, but now I want to clean-up the home screen and lockdown the EDA71. I’m just not sure how to go about it other than trial and error.