Question

Kinetic Upgrade - Customization Binding Errors

• 22 November 2022
  • 13 replies

Userlevel 1

I am looking for some help in updating some customizations that didn't fully convert on my test environment. What I am seeing is binding errors on customization that uses for example

'Control 'epinumeric editorC2' of type EpiNumericEditor has an invalid binding to JobHead.Number01'

'Control 'epiUltraComboC1' of type EpiUltraCombo has an invalid binding to JobHead.Character05.'

Any help or direction would be appreciated

Melissa Hietala

13 replies

Message me.

First question, what version are you upgrading from in you test system? E10? 9? . If your upgrading from E10, in  Epicor open UD Column Maintenance and then look for the Job Head table. If the table is not listed, then you don't have the fields added to the job head table. 

Userlevel 1

10.2.500.35 to 2022.1

I do see the table but on the screen it says Data Model not in sync

I would assume that would be a problem I have to fix on the  App Server, correct?

Thanks

Go to Epicor admin panel the top left click on your test database and then on the right side click on regenerate data model. This might take a little time.

Userlevel 1

So the Generate Data Model failed. Here is part of log text:

Error Generating the Data Models: 'dotnet nuget list source --format short' failed with an exit code of -2147450735.

Deletion of C:\Users\adm_mmhietala\AppData\Local\Temp\Epicor\DataModelGenerator failed. Retry attempt #1. Error: The process cannot access the file 'DataModelGenerator.log' because it is being used by another process.
Deletion of C:\Users\adm_mmhietala\AppData\Local\Temp\Epicor\DataModelGenerator failed. Retry attempt #2. Error: The process cannot access the file 'DataModelGenerator.log' because it is being used by another process.
Deletion of C:\Users\adm_mmhietala\AppData\Local\Temp\Epicor\DataModelGenerator failed. Retry attempt #3. Error: The process cannot access the file 'DataModelGenerator.log' because it is being used by another process.
Deletion of C:\Users\adm_mmhietala\AppData\Local\Temp\Epicor\DataModelGenerator failed. Retry attempt #4. Error: The process cannot access the file 'DataModelGenerator.log' because it is being used by another process.
Deletion of C:\Users\adm_mmhietala\AppData\Local\Temp\Epicor\DataModelGenerator failed. Retry attempt #5. Error: The process cannot access the file 'DataModelGenerator.log' because it is being used by another process.

Could this somehow be linked to the fact I have 2 App servers on this machine? One linked to my current 10.2.500 version and one to the new Kinetic version? How could I separate them for this process?

Thanks

Can you restart the test server and try regenerating again?

Userlevel 1

Rebooted. Got same error but it seemed to take longer to see the failure.

Thanks

I am at a lost as to what the problem is then. Maybe a permissions issue, not sure. I would give Epicor a call and have them help out. If you would, when you do get it solved, could you post and let us know how it was fixed?

Userlevel 1

Thanks for your help. I created a ticket and hope to get some sort of response next week. I will post once I have a solution that works

Melissa

Userlevel 4

Dear Melissa, 

Although I’ve heard of people getting away with just clicking Regenerate with no other action, I normally go to the app server, stop the application pool, regenerate and allow the regenerate to finish, then start the application pool, then stop/start the task agent.

In the step of stopping the application pool, there’s a warning saying all current connections will be disconnected.  This may help with the error you’re seeing.

HTH

..Monty.

Userlevel 1

Gave this a try and got same result. See screenshots of steps I took:

This is what was downloaded by my Infrastructure guy and added to the test server:

I am assuming it has something to do with the NET framework add-ins we needed to do for this version, but we have added them, rebooted the server multiple times, and to regenerate the data model for the UD fields I get this error. However, I can access the kinetic app and do transactions and all that but I can’t fix any of the customizations that show the binding errors because they are not in sync. I do have a ticket with Epicor, but as usual, it’s been silent the last few days. I love coming to this group because there always seems to be someone who has seen the same issue and can help. And responses are much more timely.

If there are any more ideas on where to look or if anyone knows of some setting maybe we missed when we did the NET Framework add-ins, please let me know. If I hear from Epicor I will update this string.

Melissa

Userlevel 1

Update:

I worked with a couple different support team members and got to this point.

It is not a customization issue per se. Looks like on the appserver machine I am missing a folder for a NuGet config file. What they could not tell me was what this is for and why I didn’t get this installed, if needed, either in the Epicor install process or the Installation of the dotnet SDK 6.0.403(?).

She has a config file that looks like this in her C:Users\myname\AppData\Roaming\NuGet\NuGet.config. She is not sure what it is or what it is used for in relation to trying to get the Data Model Regen process to run.

She is going to ask around to her peers and developers to get more info. If this hits a note for anyone, please let me know. 

I will update again once I hear back

Mel

Userlevel 1

So the support person had me install visual studio and the SDK download again. Whichever one added the C:\ProgramFiles\dotnet folder. Still didn't work but than got instructions to delete all of the contents of that dotnet folder and reran the cmd prompt script of ‘dotnet nuget list source --format short’. That ran successfully (found the files it was looking for)

Reran the Generate Data Model successfully.

Then back to the customization errors. I ran my customization verify in my current 10.2.500.x version, fixed some compile errors (2 lines were set to Enabled instead of ReadOnly) and messed around with the locations of a couple of the custom ud fields. Passed the verify process, exported to desktop.

Imported into Kinetic 2022.2.9. After some messing around with Daniel from support i got the customization added to a new Kinetic Job Entry menu item (Kinetic App). The customization loaded but on the side panel of the Details panel instead of under the operations, scheduling resource tab. 

He recreated the issue and submitted a problem to development for it not attaching to correct panel

Melissa