More than 50 votes on Epicor Ideas

Userlevel 3

We heard you… we are changing the voting structure very soon (within the next few weeks or sooner). Once complete, the new voting structure on Epicor Ideas will be:

1. You may vote for an Unlimited number of ideas (the 50 vote limit will be eliminated).
  2. Each user will have a limit of one vote per idea. (this used to be one to three… now only one vote).

|23x33.61538461538461
Historical ideas (those before this change takes happens) will retain their current votes, even if more than one vote. No need to remove your historical votes

3 replies

Userlevel 4

Thanks Tim! @tshoemaker 

Thanks Tim for posing these questions.  Absolutely a great approach.

The crowd analytics approach is sound and I liked it a lot. I think that perhaps the limit of tokens or votes on a single topic could be adjusted.  To facilitate the users who absolutely NEED a feature more than any other is important to surface.  To recover those tokens only once the feature is completed might be useful.  They might be inclined to spend their whole ‘wallet of tokens’ on that feature’s promotion.  If 5 or 10 such users, from different companies, where to do so, it clearly represents a very strong need.

The other end of the spectrum is more of the cafeteria version of selection, a little vote here and another there over many feature requests.  The volume there many come from a larger audience but with much less of a critical need.  It should be valued as well, but I would like to see the development approach follow a triage approach, setting priority by a couple of separate metrics - urgency as represented by high voting by fewer companies as well as defuse voting with high tallies for features but not rising to the value where they’d spend the whole wallet until it is completed and those votes are recovered.

Just my thoughts.

Userlevel 3

@hburke we did consider multiple ideas on how to vote.. multiple votes per idea, limited votes (we did limit to 50 total votes), increasing total votes available, etc. at the end of the day, we decided to keep it simple with one vote per idea and unlimited votes. we felt that if we gave 3 votes per idea and unlimited votes, then some users may abuse this. 

we also acknowledge that some people might vote for every idea, which is not a great thing to do, as every additional thing you vote for deemphasizes your votes for the important things. Hopefully people will vote for the things they care about, and dont vote for the non-essentials.