Question

Need solution for Avalara AvaTax TLS 1.2 requirement for Tax Connect in E9 and Vantage

• 12 January 2022
  • 4 replies

Avalara Inc. intends to deprecate TLS 1.0 and TLS 1.1 in December of 2022, which will break the connection to Avalara's AvaTax service for ERP 10.0.X.X through ERP 10.2.300.X customers and for those who use the older offerings of ERP 9 and Vantage / Vista 8. ( Reference article https://help.avalara.com/Frequently_Asked_Questions/Avalara_-_Knowledge_Base/ACTION_NEEDED%3A_Update_Transport_Layer_Security_to_TLS_1.2?origin=deflection )  The article mentions 1/15/2022 but, according to Epicor Support, Avalara have decided to delay End of Life for TLS 1.0 and for TLS 1.1 until December 2022.

Epicor policy-wise, Epicor ERP 9 and Vantage have been in sustaining support (as opposed to active support) for many years and therefore are not eligible for any type of development work or creation of an Epicor ERP patch to resolve the issue.

Can anyone think of a work around solution for implementing TLS 1.2 for E9?  Perhaps using a proxy service or some intermediary measure?

4 replies

Userlevel 4

@jcurlee 

Hi Jennifer. Back in June 2018, PayPal required a similar upgrade with protocols, making TLS 1.2  and HTTP 1.1 mandatory for communication with them.  At that time, it was necessary to apply a patch to the Authorization Service Lite (ASL) component used by the PayPal integration with Vantage/Epicor ERP.  For this Avalara requirement, I thought, based on KB0106570 and KB0067244, that we just needed to ensure that both the ERP server and the ERP clients were using TLS 1.2.  However, are you saying that Tax Connect must be patched just like ASL was patched back in 2018?  Just wanted to confirm my understanding.

Regards,

Userlevel 4

Hi Jennifer. I opened a case with Epicor Support regarding this issue. You apparently did also, since your paragraph starting with “Epicor policy-wise” is very similar to the response that I received: “Epicor policy-wise, your Epicor ERP 10.2.200.40 is in sustaining support (as opposed to active support) and it therefore is not eligible for any type of development work or creation of an Epicor ERP patch to resolve the issue.” However, I was also told that “the Epicor personnel who will ultimately make the decision said they will take into consideration the number of customer sites impacted by the Avalara change before deciding on this point and a message will be sent to all Tax Connect customers about it”. While I have no way of knowing for sure, I suspect that Epicor has a significant number of customers using Tax Connect in conjunction with ERP versions prior to 10.2.400 (in which the SOAP interface in Tax Connect began using TLS 1.2), so perhaps there still is some hope for those of us on older versions.

this might be useful - https://epiccare.epicor.com/epiccare?id=epiccare_kb_article&sys_id=ad32963a1bf8e890d4a5c8415b4bcba9

If you need the urls to test - https://help.avalara.com/Frequently_Asked_Questions/AvaTax_FAQ/What_are_the_service_URLs_for_AvaTax_calculation_services%3F