Question

One off financial consulting need - E9

• 3 August 2022
  • 8 replies

Hello,

I’m looking for a little help with some financial configuration in our current E9 environment.  

I need to differentiate revenue streams into 5 or 6 categories as we currently just have everything funneled into the one natural GL account.  I was planning on creating additional departments along with sales categories to accomplish this, but I don’t have the knowledge to pull it off.

We are in the middle of an upgrade to 10, but for whatever reason, our current consulting group doesn’t seem to want to touch our live environment.  As close as we may be to moving to 10, my management team wants this implemented asap in 9, so I’m in a bit of a bind.

I don’t want to fully engage with another large consulting group and go through that process, so I was hoping for an hour or two(+) session on the side to knock this out.

If anyone has any ideas, recommendations, or is interested, I’m all ears.

Thanks!

8 replies

Userlevel 3

Ryan,

you have identified one of the two tools, but there is another to consider.  (I use both)

The two tools for segregating revenue (and COGS) in the GL are:
-Product Group on the parts defaulting to SO Line
-Sales reporting Department defaulting from Customer Group

Userlevel 1

Ryan-

I agree with Paul. My preference is product groups assigned to parts. In the product group you would assign a GL control code:

Go to control code maint to setup new corresponding control codes ( before assigning to prod group) and set the GL account.

-Nick

Userlevel 1

Oh...and assign the product group to the part…

-Nick

Thanks to both for your input.  I’m going to see if the product groups will work for us, that seems to be the path of least resistance.  We are misusing the field a bit as we are classifying revenue based on where the units are produced, not so much the type of unit, but it will probably still work.  Cheers.

Userlevel 1

Hi Ryan,

In case, you need some additional help. 

Our company is an epicor partner with more than 25 year's experience and specially in the financial part of Epicor. We have been helping a lot of companies around the world to make sure they accounting flow is answering their needs as well as local and international. With the COA structure of Epicor Kinetic and the posting engine (Posting Rules), they are no limitation. The best is to decide exactly what are your needs and then in a couple of hours depending on the complexity, you must be able to duplicate that flow in Epicor, So times, you need to change your account structure, we love to use the Dynamic segments as those can be add after and can be also easily populated from any element of Epicor by modifying the “Posting Rules”. In the following links, you can find some comment of companies we have help on this topic: Solex Thermal Science Sees Dynamic Improvement to Epicor Reporting with FastClose and PSE

Don’t hesitate to contact us and we can organize a team meeting to give you some guideline.

Have an excellent day,

Thierry

Hi Ryan,

It could be also possible using the posting rules to allocate the right segment a the invoice level

Cheers

HI Ryan,

Two years ago I met Ron Stevenson of ERP Financial Solutions at Insights.  He is a very knowledgeable Epicor Financial Consultant with many years experience across multiple versions.  Both his software and finance knowledge are extensive!  His contact info is:

Ron Stevenson

ERP Financial Solutions

ron@erpfinancialsolutions.com

Have a good week,

Connie

Thank you for the replies...maybe I can pull this off based on the input received. 

In my test environment I’ve done the following:

Created a few departments

Added GL accounts to the new product group.  (Was I correct in associating the -20 department with each account?)

Not yet sure why my descriptions aren’t showing, but probably something to do with the newly created department.

Then associated the product group with the new control.

Am I close?