Question

Revision in Part Tracker changes itself and thus the result showing in a linked Part Tracker - v confusing!

• 25 August 2022
  • 3 replies

• Participating Frequently
  • 8 replies

We’re a month and a half into Kinetic following upgrade from E905 - I include that for context.

I’ve tried various searches in Community to find if it’s been up before, but not found anything.

Note: all of the below has been in Classic screens

Has anybody else seen this type of behaviour?

1. From Part Tracker for a standard part with a revision history I select the revision tab and click say revision 6 (the only approved revision) and right click to open Method Tracker.
  2. I right click a material (which I know changed from one part number to another at around rev 3) and open Time Phase
  3. Time Phase opens for the selected part (i.e the current part num in rev 6) and displays the standard min/max detail and say 45ea as the balance
  4. half a second later the part num has switched to the now retired part which was switched out at rev 3 and min/max and balance are - as one would expect for the retired part - zero and in the background Part Tracker has shifted the highlighted line from rev 6 to rev 1

If not watching the screen closely or paying attention to Part Track Rev tab in the background and noting the uncommanded switch of rev, which the screen link to Time Phase has tracked, then one could make an erroneous decision so it’s pretty dangerous...

Even odder: that process I described is what happens on my Production Manager’s PC, but on my laptop it doesn’t happen and rev 6 remains highlighted and the Time Phase detail remains correct for the correct part…

I’ve tried the magical Clear Cache on his machine to no avail. 

Not sure where to go next in a) understanding quite what is going on and b) resolving so that we don’t make costly errors...

3 replies

Userlevel 3

That sounds bad. I am on 10.2.700 and I can confirm some of the behavior you are seeing. In Part>Rev, if I open Method Tracker for an older rev, then open Time Phase for a particular component on that rev, I get the correct Time Phase.  It never changes on its own back to the latest rev. But, if I re-highlight a different rev on the Part>Rev screen, then the Method Tracker usually follows the change, and the Time Phase changes to some other part on the latest rev, in no particular logical way (not by sequence number or anything else I could decipher).  

I don’t know what would make the Open With link to change on it own. We have put some BPM’s in place to force users to only look at the latest rev, but none of them would change anything while you were looking at an older rev. Maybe you could look for any BPMs or customizations or personalizations in your system.

Userlevel 3

I would agree with @al , you may have a customization or logic built into the screen (not a BPM) that is causing confusion within the Kinetic environment.  When we migrated from E9 to E10, we had some whacky stuff consultants had buried into the Data section of screens that caused us nothing but issues, once we were off E9.  E10 still allowed ABL code, which was rampant through BPMs, due to the Progress code within E9.  The migration from E9 tries as best it can to migrate the ABL code to C#, but it does not always transfer correctly. 

Thank you for the suggestions guys.  My one reservation on those is that why would two different workstations respond differently if there were customisations in those screens - I don’t think we modded Time Phase or Method Tracker, less sure about Part Tracker.  Both workstations on the same client. 

An interesting observation is that if select one selects rev 6 on the Revision tab of Part Tracker and then hit Refresh rev 1 is selected, i.e default landing place on the Revision tab is always rev 1.  But what causes a non-focus screen to refresh on it’s own?

Anyway appreciating the thoughts and will take some pondering into the weekend with me!