Question

Screen Lag and Load Time Speed

• Known Participant
  • 98 replies

Our production system is 10.1.600.23 and we have quite a few users that have noticed slower screen load times (maybe just perceived slower) and many of the Epicor application windows do not drag on the screen properly.  They lag the actual mouse movement by ALOT.

Our test environment of 10.2.700 shows some of the same slow screen load times, but no window drag problem.

1. Would love some feedback on how long Epicor takes to load any of the typical modules like sales order entry, part entry, quote entry etc.  We see times that range from 10 seconds to 30 seconds before the full screen is loaded and visible.
  2. Has anyone had the lagging mouse drag issue and how did you fix it, if you could?

We have searched for some of these issues online but have not had any luck with the suggestions we have found so far.

Thanks,

Brian Edens

OEM, Inc.

13 replies

Userlevel 3

A Windows Update KB was installed on most Windows 10 workstations from Feb 9 to 12. On some of those workstations, it caused massive slowdown in every Epicor screen. For example, it would take 40 seconds to open Invoice Entry. Once we uninstalled KB4601319, performance returned to normal of about 10 seconds to load. (But that update will come back unless you pause all updates for 7 days).

On the other hand, KB4601319 is installed on other workstation without any ill effects. I think there are some other nearby KB numbers that also could cause this effect.

Brian,

Have you tried Removing  Windows Update KB4601319? 

Your situation sounds the same as ours.

Bryan Loewen

See KB0108621 article titled Windows Update KB4601319 or KB4601318 Causing Performance Issues on the Epicor support site

https://epicorcs.service-now.com/epiccare?id=epiccare_kb_article&sys_id=2fe192431b1220504cd5b9d51a4bcbbf

Userlevel 2

Brian,

Yes we have as well.  We reported it when we moved from hosted to cloud.  We were told that it was just that the new screens had load under the new format, that was 2 years ago.

Are you using Kinetics yet in 10?   It gets worse.  

And if using Cloud, Kinetics printer load is even longer or never.  To the point PRB0229900 has been issued, stating the fix would be resolved in 10.2,700.8 - it hasn’t been.

cch

We have had problems as well, apparently caused by Windows Update KB4601319.  Uninstalling that update restored the client experience to normal.

More info here:

Microsoft admits Windows 10 KB4601319 issue, promises fix 13

Userlevel 4

Hi Brian,

Did your users start noticing this issue about three weeks ago or so?  If so, it may be the case that your systems are being impacted by a recent Windows update.  For more information from Epicor about this issue, see EpicCare KB0108621 (https://epicorcs.service-now.com/epiccare/?id=epiccare_kb_article&sys_id=2fe192431b1220504cd5b9d51a4bcbbf).

Regards,
Scott

Userlevel 3

Hi All

Apologies our spam filter took issue with the replies above referencing the Microsoft KB articles. These have now been approved and are available.

Tim

Thanks for the feedback from ALL.  I will look thru the KB issues and revert back to let you know if it helped.

-Brian

Hi Charles,

Thanks for that feedback.  That is kind of what I was afraid of.  We have not seen any speed improvement over the various 10.2. updates.  Will keep reviewing and see how it goes.  Dont think I am going to give up our 10.1 install just quite yet.

-Brian

A Windows Update KB was installed on most Windows 10 workstations from Feb 9 to 12. On some of those workstations, it caused massive slowdown in every Epicor screen. For example, it would take 40 seconds to open Invoice Entry. Once we uninstalled KB4601319, performance returned to normal of about 10 seconds to load. (But that update will come back unless you pause all updates for 7 days).

On the other hand, KB4601319 is installed on other workstation without any ill effects. I think there are some other nearby KB numbers that also could cause this effect.

We had this same issue. Uninstalling that specific update made a significant difference.

The interim fix has now been installed by several customers and appears effective. Instructions are available at KB0110540 SUPPORT ALERT: Actions to apply Microsoft preview fix for performance concerns introduced with Windows updates from February 2021 and April 2021 before official rollout

Also, a customer told me disabling theming at the user level was effective in preventing the performance issue. This is done from Settings > General Options > Preferences > Theming > Disable Theming. It would be great if more customers could confirm this.

If you want to keep up to date with this issue I try to keep the following article fresh KB0108621 February and March 2021 Windows Updates Causing Performance Issues

• sbosque:  Thanks for the feedback.

• Disabling theming did not stop the lagging mouse drag problem.

• We will be testing the other fixes shortly and revert back for all.

Update:  The screen load times were helped by the removal of the update but some workstations cannot go back that far.  We have found that the only step that stops the epicor screen lag while dragging is changing the following:

Control Panel > System > Advanced System Settings > Performance Settings > Uncheck "Show window contents while dragging" and accept the changes.

Hope this is helpful !

-Brian