Question

Service type SO and Jobs

• 24 November 2021
  • 2 replies

Userlevel 2

We dont have the Field Service or Maintenance module but i was just wondering how people deal with the providing of a ‘Service’ in a manufacturing environment? Sometimes we just get Customers who send us things for Testing or Storage or maybe for us to Train our Customers how to use something, how do people handle this? I was thinking maybe using Project Management but i am open to suggestions :grin:

2 replies

Userlevel 1

Hi Daniel, 

There are a few options on this, the route I would go down depends if you need to log any actual time or not. You could have none part master record for the service with a job directly attached to collect time/materials, alternatively you could skip the job element. 

Really depends on your process and what you intend to do with the data.

We are also a manufacturing company. and we also do some service calls and some customer training.

One of our sections invoices their service work / training with a Miscellaneous Invoice. (invoice type is selected at invoice entry)

The part number field in the invoice entry is left \blank but the Description field  is used to describe the nature of the training/ service work undertaken.

This section has setup a Product Group named “MiscWork” which has the appropriate GL Controls assigned to it, this is selected when entering the invoice, to manage/allocate the finances.

Another of our sections does frequent service calls, so they have setup a, part called “ServiceCall”  this is a non stocked, not quantity bearing part, with costs assigned to it and a Product Group and GL controls setup for the part.

They then consequently simply invoice their service work just the same as a product sale ie the part number is selected on the Shipment Invoice etc etc..