Upgrade decision:(moving from 10.2.200) 10.2.600 or 10.2.700?

We are on 10.2.200 and deciding on whether we should upgrade to 10.2.600 and dip our toes into kinetics first or just take the plunge and upgrade to 10.2.700?

Your opinions are appreciated!

Thanks,

Joy Fekkes

12 replies

Userlevel 3

We are in a similar decision point.  We are trying to minimize our upgrades over the next 2 years and are struggling to make a decision to upgrade to 10.2.700 and have to upgrade again in 2021, or wait for E11 in May/June timeframe and not have to upgrade until 2022.  We are currently on 10.2.400 and are moving to sustaining maintenance in May.

Kinetics screens will cause most users headaches, just because they are different than what they have been used too.  By delaying, you may just be pushing out the pain as users will keep their screens the same as they are in 200, instead of embracing the Kinetics screens.  My 2 cents.

Exact same position. On 10.2.400. We are going to wait to E11. Doesn’t make sense to me to go to 700 now when 11 is coming out.

Alex

Userlevel 2

We upgraded to 10.2.600 last fall.  Kinetics in 10.2.600 is not ready for production use.  Epicor will tell you Kinetic performance is not good in 10.2.600, better in 10.2.700, and comparable to the current UI in 11.  At the WI Users group meeting last week Epicor Present the latest on Kinetics in 11.

Mike

Userlevel 1

I would just go to .700 if you’re aren’t going to wait for 11.  It has more applications converted and you can turn it off to start and introduce selectively as you are ready.

Userlevel 1

Hello,

We’re on the same boat - currently on 10.2.300 and thinking of upgrading to either .600 or .700. After a call with Epicor yesterday we decided to upgrade to the latest .700. We will maximize the support we can get on it (.600 expires about 6 months earlier that .700) and the upgrade to .700 is something we’re going to do later anyway.​​ ​​​​​

Edit: have a look at this post here, looks like in some cases .600 is worse than .700

Dragos

Userlevel 2

Good morning,

We are cloud based, so we get upgrades every six weeks.  I consider us being the guinea pig group, and reported a number of issues along the way.  In my opinion, Kinetics is finally at a useable point in 10.2.700.12, just in time for the move to 11.  Starting with 700.4, we were told to change our defaults back to basic on most reports as printers were taking 5 minutes to never to load.  So far, that has been resolved in .12

You still have the choice option for forms/printers in .12, so I would not consider a jump to 600 if 700 is available.  

cch

Userlevel 3

After weighing the same exact questions over the past few months, we upgraded from 10.2.200 to 10.2.700 4 weeks ago. I’m glad we did. Lesson learned so far: 1. DO NOT turn on Kinetic for any form that you don’t fully test because some basic functionality just isn’t there (including simple things like print forms), and 2. Begin working with Kinetic customizations one by one while in 10.2.700 to ease the transition to E11 when you eventually go there.

Wow, great information from everyone!   Looks like the jump to 10.2.700.12 will be the way for us to go.  We’d like to experiment with Kinetic customizations so we’re ready for E11.

Love this ability to share experiences!  Much appreciated!

Userlevel 1

We are at 10.2.400.4 at is is pretty stable now. We are thinking going to 10.2.700 because we might be forced doing it anyway before we can Upgrade to E11. Could those who upgraded to 10.2.700 confirm that all the existing forms/customizations (C#), still working in 10.2.700? We plan to upgrade, but do not use Kinetcic forms for users. Our developers will work on converting valuable customizations from classic to Kinetic.

Userlevel 3

I can confirm that classic forms and classic customizations are all available and nominally working in 10.2.700. But there are the usual tweaks and changes that occur at every upgrade that might affect one or more of your existing  customizations, so the usual testing is needed.

We went from 10.2.300 to .700.

Kinetic is still a choice.

Userlevel 4

I have read on here that 600 was technically full of problems, and the advice was to hold off on going live with it, and put 700 into the testing cycle instead.  To those leaning to become E11 early adopters, please go back and review the history of those unfortunate souls that tried 10.0.100 and 10.0.200 and reconsider.  It may not be as much of a soup-to-nuts rewrite as 9-to-10 was but just think about what you’re doing to your users.

Test, test!

Thanks

….Monty.