EMUG Call for Topics for June 15 VIRTUAL meeting

• 21 April 2023
  • 5 replies

Userlevel 3

The next VIRTAUL EMUG meeting is June 15, 2023. If you have ideas for topics that you want presented, please send them in. More information in the link below.

https://mailchi.mp/codabears/emugcallfortopics20230615 

5 replies

Userlevel 4

I already submitted the following directly, but I thought that I could post it here, too, in hopes of getting some feedback now.

We are currently using ERP 10.2.200.40 with SQL Server 2012 Standard, but have just started to plan for upgrading to Kinetic 2022.2 (2023.1?) and SQL Server 2022 Standard (Enterprise?).  Any topic/discussion that addresses issues that we are likely to encounter when making those leaps would certainly be helpful to us, and so would any feedback that anyone would be willing to offer right now.

Regards,

Userlevel 4

Are you on premise or Epicor SaaS hosted?  The former will allow you to continue to use any customized forms in Kinetic as you do in E10, the latter may will enforce an upgrade of those customized forms to Kinetic.  

If you are locally hosted, I would suggest (if possible) that you create a virtual environment for upgrade testing (at least as an alternate application server if not a separate SQL server) and then once you have this run the Configuration Upgrade Dashboard

Userlevel 4

@sue.lowden 

Thank you for the feedback, Sue, and sorry for the delayed reply!  We are on-premise.  We have significant customizations (the primary one being a home-grown interface between Customer Shipment Entry and shipper systems) including customized screen forms and SSRS reports.

We currently have a virtual environment for our Production, Pilot and Test environments and corresponding SQL servers, where Production and Pilot run on the same VM connected to a production SQL VM and Test runs on a separate VM connected to a test SQL VM.

We are considering a revamping of our virtual environment, where we would create two new VM’s serving as both application server and SQL server, one for production Kinetic and one for testing Kinetic, with completely new installations for Windows Server, SQL Server and Kinetic 2022/2023, instead of upgrades to the existing VMS.  Does that seem like a good approach to you or would you advise against that?

What is the Configuration Upgrade Dashboard?

Userlevel 4

For on premise customers a separate VM for Pilot/Test/UAT from Production hosting both the application and SQL server is a pretty standard setup, however you can host different versions against each instance on the same server if you want to.

As for the Configuration Upgrade Dashboard once you upgrade to the latest Kinetic version this will be available on the menu and will show you information on existing BAQs. BPMs, Report Styles and Definitions, Dashboards, Customizations etc.

Userlevel 4

Sounds like it might be the latest iteration of a “System Customizations Tracker” created years ago by Doug Kros, an Epicor SE.  Will definitely look for it when we have Kinetic up and running.  Thanks.