Insights 2018

• Anonymous
  • 0 replies
Did anyone local here go to the Insights conference? Considering 2019 and wanted to get some feedback from those that attended. 

------------------------------
Thank you,

Chad Helgemoe
B2B Business Development Manager // Evolve Payment
C 651 329 0601
Evolve Payment
Evolve Payment makes payment processing easy
www.evolvepayment.com 

"We're an agency creating business solutions for the digital world."
evolve-systems.com // evolvepayment.com // HelpDesk // EvolveCare

Evolve Systems is a registered ISO/MSP of Wells Fargo Bank, N.A. Walnut Creek, CA
This message contains confidential information and is intended only for the individual named. If you are not the named addressee you should not disseminate, distribute or copy this e-mail. Please notify the sender immediately by e-mail if you have received this e-mail by mistake and delete this e-mail from your system. E-mail transmission cannot be guaranteed to be secure or error-free as information could be intercepted, corrupted, lost, destroyed, arrive late or incomplete, or contain viruses. The sender therefore does not accept liability for any errors or omissions in the contents of this message, which arise as a result of e-mail transmission. If verification is required please request a hard-copy version.

7 replies

I went. Lots of people from the area went. You get as much out of this conference as you are willing to put in. There are tons of classes and networking opportunities. I've gone twice now and always come back with a laundry list of new skills and ideas to try to help automate our business. If you go with some questions in mind to get answered, a extroverted mindset on talking to many people, and a willingness to explore some ideas that you may not think are applicable, you usually get some good things out of it.

Brandon Anderson
Rapat Corporation
Hawley MN
218-483-3344

I have to agree, this was my third one and I found that I got a lot of new things from each one.  I also sat in on a few classes where I thought I knew everything about what we were doing and learned several new tips that I'm implementing today. Like Brandon said, it's all in what you put into it.  There is enough to go to keep you busy all the while you are there, the labs seem to be the best because it's hands on.  My 2 cents!

Scott Thompson
IT Manager/Webmaster
Advanced Wireless Communications

------

I went as well and felt I gained tons of useful information.  I particularly enjoy the labs.  Hand on always seems to be more beneficial, although many of the presentations were well worth attending. 

One thing I still have issues with though is using the top 1 in place of first or last qualifier.

Any suggestions ... helpful hints... examples?

Thanks

Carol Pelowski

Applications System Administrator
Le Sueur Incorporated

507-665-6204  x248

cmpelows@lesueurinc.com

------
Userlevel 3

I go every year I can... I started going as an Epicor Customer, then got hired by Epicor.

This was my 14th year since 1999.

I go as an "Expert", and I made 9 hours of presentations, and "assisted" in 12 more hours. I always learn multiple new things, and this year was no different. I went to BPM and Dashboard classes as the expert assistant, and learned a "new" feature (one that I had always missed)... This alone was the tip I needed this year, as I had just been making an updatable dashboard that needed the feature, and I thought it would be harder.

Also, Extended Education classes that are available the two days before the start are the least expensive training available from product experts.

Tim Shoemaker
Senior Principal Consultant
Professional Services

Cell: 1.949.294.0203   Fax: 1.949.341.4101
E-Mail:
tshoemaker@epicor.com Twitter: @timshuwy
image002.png@01D38AF1.452B3F90

------

I should also mention to people that have never attended any extended education classes, that it is well worth going down a day or two prior and attending these 4 hour classes.  I did that a couple of years ago when it was in Vegas and wish I had gone down on Saturday or Sunday and attended some of these classes.  The cost is only about $275 per class, but well worth it.

Carol

------
Awesome information. Thanks so much for giving me a little insider info and review of the conference. It certainly sounds like a great opportunity to learn and network. I would agree with you all in that the labs are probably most beneficial as I am definitely a hands on learner as well. I look forward to meeting you all at the MN user group meeting. As a new person to this group I am hoping to learn a lot from you all. Do we know when the next meeting is going to be yet? 

Have a great day and thank you all so much for your responses. It was very helpful.

Thank you,

Chad Helgemoe
B2B Business Development Manager // Evolve Payment
C 651 329 0601
Evolve Payment

"We're an agency creating business solutions for the digital world."
evolve-systems.com // evolvepayment.com // HelpDesk // EvolveCare

Evolve Systems is a registered ISO/MSP of Wells Fargo Bank, N.A. Walnut Creek, CA
This message contains confidential information and is intended only for the individual named. If you are not the named addressee you should not disseminate, distribute or copy this e-mail. Please notify the sender immediately by e-mail if you have received this e-mail by mistake and delete this e-mail from your system. E-mail transmission cannot be guaranteed to be secure or error-free as information could be intercepted, corrupted, lost, destroyed, arrive late or incomplete, or contain viruses. The sender therefore does not accept liability for any errors or omissions in the contents of this message, which arise as a result of e-mail transmission. If verification is required please request a hard-copy version.
Carol,

Unfortunately the Top - Set Rows doesn't work like you would expect. This command finds the Top rows in the subquery before applying any joins to that subquery which many times results in a null value when this subquery is joined to another table.

This is kind of hard to explain but I'll do my best. I've attached a BAQ example of this.

The best way I've found to do first or last on a table like you could do in E9 is, create an InnerSubQuery then add a calculated field and use the row_number() expression. What this row_number() expression does is sequentially number each row returned starting at 1. Then when you join this Subquery to another table, you create a criteria on top of this Subquery and set the (row_number) calculated field = 1, this will limit the results to the first record.

The advantage to using the row_number expression over E9's first/last is you have full control of how the data is partitioned (grouped) and which field the data is sorted by and the direction. In E9 you had no control over which record was first or last, the system did it for you and sometimes you couldn't get the results you wanted.

Here is the syntax for the row_number() expression

Ascending order:
row_number() over(partition by <partition field> order by <order field> asc)

Descending order:
row_number() over(partition by <partition field> order by <order field> desc)

In this row_number example below, for each part number it will number each tran record returned starting at 1 in descending order on date and time. Since it is partitioned on PartNum the numbering order will start over at 1 each time the part number changes:

row_number() over(partition by PartTran.PartNum order by (convert(varchar, PartTran.TranDate, 112) + convert(varchar, PartTran.SysTime)) desc)

Setting a criteria on this calculated field = 1 will return the last tran record for each part number. When you set the criteria it has to be on the Subquery from the upper level, not inside of this Subquery using SubQuery Criteria tab. Hope that makes sense, it's hard to explain.

There is another way I've done this is by using Group By on display columns and max/min aggregate function, but using this method there is a potential multiple records returned so I stopped using this method.

Jeff Martinson
TEAM Industries
Business Systems Analyst
MN EUG Regional Leader