Solved

Test Environment - 2 different versions of Kinetic

• 8 January 2024
  • 4 replies

Userlevel 1

I am wanting to install 2023.2 on my test environment but also want to keep my 2022.2.28 instance for any current version testing. 

It seems when I do the 2023 install it overwrites my 2022.2.28 items in Admin Console and I see no option to get the database or appserver back. If I try to add the db it only gives me the option of my old 10.2.500 or the new Kinetic 11.2.400. No 11.2.200 for the Kinetic 2022.2.

Can we not have both versions on a test environment? If we can, does anyone have the path to a document that lays out how to do this?

Thank you,

Melissa

icon

Best answer by Tim.Berryman 16 January 2024, 18:07

View original

4 replies

I do not mix different versions of Epicor on the same server running the Kinetic application pool. I use a separate virtual machine for each version.

If you have a SQL server in development that is separate from your application server you can have 2 databases that are at different Kinetic versions as long as both of those versions of Kinetic support the windows and SQL version running both of them. So you can have a single SQL server running 2 Kinetic database at different versions with 2 different servers running the application pools, one for each Kinetic version.

Userlevel 1

Thank you. I am once again having issues with my test environment where when I try to do a Generate Data Model process, I get the error below. I had this same issue when doing the 2022.2 install but it was because we hadn’t done all of the Microsoft .NET programs (SDK, Core ASP, Desktop Runtime, etc) I have all of that on the server and updated to lastest versions. I have wiped my 2022 stuff and did the install for 2023 with no issues. Now trying to setup the database on Admin console, I can update my database but when it gets to last step (3000) it errors out. Any ideas?

Before I got to this ‘re-do’ state I was just trying to do the Generate Data Model on my already setup and being used 2022.2.28 Epicor. I had added a new UD table and field. and got this (which is basically same message as in the log file above). I have done this process multiple times in the past and when I did the process in live (with my fingers crossed) I had no issues.

Any ideas would be appreciated.

Melissa

Userlevel 3

There shouldn’t be any issue with running multiple version of Kinetic on the same machine. I’ve not read the release notes for the version you’re trying to install but I have a test server with 3 or 4 different version of Kinetic available.

I’ve seen the issue in your screenshot when there’s been a problem with the DotNet install, it may potentially be corrupt. I have in the past had to remove all traces of the DotNet install before it would correctly install the latest .Net version. Also make sure your .Net install options match those recommended in the Kinetic Upgrade and the Install Manual. I’d check both documents. In the past I have seen a required setting/configuration value only appear in one of the documents.

Userlevel 1

Success was had. As suggested we deleted all of the .NET files and re-installed them. We did seem to have a couple that had multiple versions. Got the Generate data model done, created appserver for new db, and launched the client.

Thank you all.

Melissa