Group/Team MES Activities

• 17 May 2018
  • 6 replies

• Anonymous
  • 0 replies
Does anyone know if Epicor has a feature that allows a team lead to start an activity (Setup or Production) and then add the members of his team to that activity? 

We have been struggling from Day 1 with making this work out of the box with Epicor 9 (and on into Epicor 10), as we have machines that require a team of workers to operate. As far as I can tell, Epicor still does not have this kind of feature which is slightly odd. The best workaround that I could come up without heavy customization was to create "Group" employees that represented multi-worker teams and have the team lead log in as one of these group employees depending on the size of his team. The problems with this approach are numerous, but it was only important to the company that it was easiest on the workers. 4 years later they are finally getting into proper analysis and are wanting to find some way to have their cake and eat it too.

I've thought of a way to create a customization that will accomplish this, but I continue receiving comments that Epicor should have this out of the box and that other software has this capability.

Anyone have any thoughts?

------------------------------
Alex Kaminski
System Administrator
The Ulven Companies
Hubbard
------------------------------

6 replies

Userlevel 3
MES allows for many people to clock into a job at once.
It also allows for a person to clock into multiple jobs at once.
In each case it should charge the jobs correctly once everyone click out.

Tim Shoemaker
949-294-0203
Sent from my iPhone

This message has been scanned for malware by Websense. www.websense.com

------

I am aware that MES will allow multiple people to clock in to a job and that a single worker can clock into multiple jobs.

What I am looking for, is a way to have one person clock in a team of 3-4 people as a group, rather than having each person log in, start activity, log out, then the next log in, start activity, log out, then the next worker and so on and so forth. There doesn't appear to be any solution for actually clocking in a team of people all at once, which is what I am looking for.

Alex Kaminski  |  ERP System Administrator

–––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––

The Ulven Companies

2310 Industrial Ave

Hubbard, OR 97032

Main – (503) 982-9779, x202

Direct – (503) 982-9799

www.ulvencompanies.com

Email Signature

This message including any attachments is considered proprietary, confidential, and may contain technical data. Export of technical data is restricted by the International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR). Export to foreign persons without prior U.S. Government approval is prohibited. Violations of ITAR export laws and regulations are subject to severe civil and criminal penalties. Any reproduction or distribution of this message or attachments in part or whole without the written permission of The Ulven Companies is prohibited. If you are an unintended recipient of this email, please notify sender of email immediately, then delete email and any attachments.

------
Userlevel 3

Alex

Have you played with crew size?

Paul Jackson

pjackson@aseptico.com

------

Hey Paul.

If you are referring to the Crew Size fields in Resource Group Maintenance, those only affect cost calculations when quoting, and the estimated cost of jobs. As far as actual cost, it's based on who clocks into the job; whether it is set to 1 or 100, it doesn't affect how the workers clock in.

-Alex

------
Userlevel 3

First... the answer to your question:

No, we do not have anything that will support starting / stopping production with multiple team members all at once (although I can see the benefit of such a solution).

Workaround:

1.       SOME companies create a "team" employee...

a.       ("5-personTeam", "3Personteam", etc)..

b.       each team has its own hourly rate.

c.       Then they choose the correct team to clock in and out of the job

d.       Benefits:

i.      Easy

e.       Negatives:

i.      Does not give specific individuals credit for their work.

Workaround 2 is more detailed.. I have never done it, but I can see that it would not be to difficult:

2.       Create a customization to support this:

a.       Need a "Team" table

i.      Team Name

ii.      Shop employees on that team

b.       Need a customization in Start/Stop production to ask for the Team

c.       Need a BPM that would automatically clock in the balance of the team if a team is entered.

3.       Challenges with this approach:

a.       What if not all the team members are onsite?

i.      They would need to start the job manually after they arrive?

b.       What if a team member needs to leave early?

i.      They would need to stop the job manually in order to clock out.

c.       What if the team continually changes? How to take care of this?

i.      Maybe add another table for people to be able to change their team?

ii.      This could get complex

Tim Shoemaker
Senior Principal Consultant
Professional Services

Cell: 1.949.294.0203   Fax: 1.949.341.4101
E-Mail:
tshoemaker@epicor.com Twitter: @timshuwy
image002.png@01D38AF1.452B3F90

------

I appreciate the insight, Tim.

We are actually using Workaround #1 and have been for 4 years, but the negatives are actually much worse. I won't bore you with the details, but this workaround causes a lot of confusion in Quoting and Job Costing with Estimated costs and hours.

Workaround #2 sounds similar to what I came up with as a potential solution, but the one I had proposed had none of the challenges you've listed. Basically the lead would start a "Group Activity", enter the normal production information, then would be prompted with a screen to select other employees. After clicking OK, the customization and BPMs would clock those employees on the list into the job, but all of the active transactions would be flagged with a unique identifier I was calling a "Group Sequence". If any worker needs to leave early, they would just clock out of the job with "End Activity" like normal. The lead would use "End Group Activity", which when he finishes his normal clock out, all active transactions that had the same Group Sequence would be clocked out too.

I guess I was hoping this feature would make an appearance in the last several versions, but I've never put the issue up to the EUG for discussion. I have multiple people here though that are telling me other software solutions have this feature and insist that Epicor must already have it as well. So my next step (because we really need to stop using Workaround #1) is to either create the customization myself (I got about halfway through figuring out clocking in multiple users last time), see if Epicor plans to implement the feature in a future update, or pay someone to create it for me.

Alex Kaminski  |  ERP System Administrator

–––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––

The Ulven Companies

2310 Industrial Ave

Hubbard, OR 97032

Main – (503) 982-9779, x202

Direct – (503) 982-9799

www.ulvencompanies.com

Email Signature

This message including any attachments is considered proprietary, confidential, and may contain technical data. Export of technical data is restricted by the International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR). Export to foreign persons without prior U.S. Government approval is prohibited. Violations of ITAR export laws and regulations are subject to severe civil and criminal penalties. Any reproduction or distribution of this message or attachments in part or whole without the written permission of The Ulven Companies is prohibited. If you are an unintended recipient of this email, please notify sender of email immediately, then delete email and any attachments.

------