Question

BAQ Selection Based on File to Table Content

• 7 April 2022
  • 8 replies

Userlevel 3

A user is asking for information about parts and wants us to create a BAQ for her for selected parts - up to 250 at a time.  I’m not sure what the best way to approach this is.  First thought is a UD table, populated by a DMT script, from a spreadsheet and using that table of Part Numbers as the top table in the BAQ.  But I was wondering if there is a better way to do this.  Any suggestions?

Thanks,
-Todd C.

8 replies

Userlevel 4

Hi Todd,

For what purpose?  Is she familiar with using grid filters?

Regards,

Userlevel 2

You might try adding a parameter to the BAQ so you can paste in a list of delimited part numbers, and then put a criteria in the BAQ to compare the part number to the list with a LIKE, something like:

‘,’ + Part.PartNum + ‘,’ LIKE  ‘,’ + ‘,’ paramPartNum + ‘,’

where the list is comma delimited.

Joe

Userlevel 3

Thanks, Joe.  Wow, just how much can you paste into a parameter?  Never thought to push the limit on that.  Could easily be 5-6K characters.  I would expect a limit around 32,768 at most.  We will give it a try.  Worst case back to trying DMT to a UD table.

-Todd

Userlevel 2

I think it’s 8K, but don’t guarantee it. :-)

Userlevel 4

It’s beside the point of the specific request, but if putting the products into product groups or part classes won’t satisfy this need, it’s possible to add a UD field on the part master, or possibly UD Codes could be used to make a solution.

Userlevel 3

The intent is to feed a BAQ that reports on Supplier prices, in both PUM and IUM units, for analysis.  I did not write the  BAQ but it is working and currently prompts for one Part Number.  The user has lists of hundreds of similar parts from various suppliers at a time to do the analysis on and validate the supplier pricing.

I have offered the developer of the BAQ a possible solution.  Create a dummy PO and paste lines into the List grid that include the part number.  Any other required columns can be dummy data since the PO will never be processed.  Then make PODetail (with the dummy PO# as a criteria) the top table in the BAQ and link Part to it.  Reuse the dummy PO as needed overwriting the lines.  I think this should be doable fairly quickly.

-Todd

Userlevel 1

Is the user trying to change a lot of things? Is this updateable or just looking for the data? I have a dashboard that compares Cost per Supplier with a price list. Converts it  to dollars in  purchase and inventory UOM. It shows list sell price and the user can select another discounted price list for comparison. It is really about making sure we don’t do something dumb with cost and price, especially when we are using non-primary vendors. It shows all parts and they we just group by or filter as needed. This of course about resale parts for us not manufactured parts.

Userlevel 3

Not updatable.  Just for analysis.  If a lot of changes will be needed they will be done via DMT.

Owner of the BAQ did not like the dummy PO idea and wants to create a Generic multiple selection UD table that can work in any situation.  So he wants to create a form for the UD table with a list grid there.  So, I am researching making forms for UD tables.  Should be an interesting learning curve.  One way or another we have a path forward.  Thanks to all for the suggestions.

-Todd