Question

Can commission be set to be part-specific?

• 13 January 2021
  • 5 replies

Hello all,

We have certain customers who buy different products from us, and the commission is different, based on the part.  Currently, we do not use Epicor’s Commission settings to calculate commission, but we would like to start.  Aside from creating different customer numbers for the same customer is there a way to set commission to be part-specific?  I’m looking through all the documentation but haven’t found anything like that so far.  Any help would be greatly appreciated!  

We are in Epicor 10 in the cloud.

5 replies

Userlevel 1

My commissions are relatively complicated. In fact, when we were deciding on Epicor in 2018 this was my sticking point. It was imperative to us that it worked on how we run/pay/report our commissions. It took some tweaking but we have it working now (took into March months to get it nailed down when we went live in 2019 - thankfully our agencies were super, super cool for those two months).

I will do my best to explain it in writing. You can feel free to ask for my number to discuss in greater detail if you would like:

• Each work force entry is a sales rep agency on a customer.
  • Each work force has varying commissions rates based on part product code (group) - either A or B.
  • For all “A” parts every sales rep agency is paid the same percentage. 
  • For all “B” parts the percentages for each sales rep agency varies. This is the commission rate that is listed on the Work Force record.
  • In one instance of the “A” parts there is a reduced commission for certain customers. We actually created a special work force named entity to handle this and that sales rep agency is the one listed on those specific customers.
  • We pay on paid invoices and A and B parts are mixed on orders and created BAQ reports that allow us to get the detail that we need for commission reports.

Thanks for your reply, Tracy.  Are you using a BPM to accomplish this for your parts that get different percentages?  

Userlevel 1

I just looked at our notes from when we were prepping.
We have three product groups, call them A, B and C
= A is a fixed rate for everyone and it’s attached the product group.
(You can see that I have a customization here, so I don’t believe this is a BPM).

= B is the “variable” commission rate for all items in a specific product group and they defer to the commission rate that is on the Work Force record

= C is a subset of products of type B but every rep that sells that item gets a fixed commission rate of 8%

Again, the parts are all part of the product group that’s got a commission rate (as shown above on it):

Our commissions had three levels and we used a customization of a product group to work for items.
So a UD field was added for CommRate to each Product Group. If there is a 0.00 in that field it uses the rate from the sales rep (work force record).

In the instances for certain customers or sales reps where there was  fixed rate commission that basically ignores the details above, there is a post processing BPM that looks at the sales rep first, if it’s one of those indicated just use that rate. If it’s not then process based on the product group comm rate and if that is 0 go to the rate on the work force record.

I hope that makes sense.

It worked up front, but the reporting on the back end was trickier to validate that that it was working, as I needed to see each line and the commission for an order isn’t based on the lines, it’s calculated behind the scenes and totaled at the order header level only, but someone good with BAQs and BAQ reports will be able to help generate that!

I hope that helps some too. Good luck!

There’s a post processing BPM on Sales

Thanks so much for the info!  I will definitely see if doing something similar will work for us.  Much appreciated.

Userlevel 3

Commissions can be handled many ways - as it really is just a report in Epicor.
I have built out commission based on a matrix of discounts on the line, sales margin and even just off of splits.  To add some complexity added a sliding scale based on the sales margin also. 

• 25% margin = 5% commission
  • 50% margin is 8% commission

When it gets right down to it, the Commission is a function of many of the variables around an order.

• Ext Price
  • Product Group
  • Part
  • Sales Margin
  • etc…

One of the keys in your query will be to split out the sales reps.

Salespeople and commission rates are held in the InvcHead and OrderHead table

but if there are multiple reps the IDs are all in 1 field split with a ~. 

To extract them use 5 calculated fields containing these calculations:

([Ice].entry(1,OrderHed.SalesRepList ,'~' ))

([Ice].entry(2,OrderHed.SalesRepList ,'~' ))

([Ice].entry(3,OrderHed.SalesRepList ,'~' ))

([Ice].entry(4,OrderHed.SalesRepList ,'~' ))

([Ice].entry(5,OrderHed.SalesRepList ,'~' ))

You then can do multiple subqueries to pull them into one table to allow creation of a summary by sales rep report that you can use to pay the salesreps and also report back to the details of the commissions.