Question

Cloud Menu Security

• 29 March 2022
  • 7 replies

Userlevel 3

The company currently has little or no menu security and security groups set up but needs to change this.  Security by ignorance is a weak strategy.  But when I go into Menu Maintenance everything is grayed out and all the menu levels and items are check marked as “Allow Access to All Users/Groups”.  And this too is grayed out.  My user account has Security Manager checked - along with just about everything else.  I am also a member of the Epicor System Administrator security group.

So what controls menu maintenance being grayed out?

Kinetic 2021.2.13 SaaS.

Thanks,
-Todd C.

7 replies

We are in the middle of a conversion and I hadn’t noticed this, I will open a support ticket. I am interested to see what others say. I do see that security on some of the menu items we have implemented previously show our previous security and I can edit them. Some I am seeing the same and they are greyed out. 

Can’t quite recall the specifics of why but It’s a SaaS thing, something is telling me it’s because these are global records and you are not a global admin (no one is in a SaaS environment except for the EpicAdmin account).

In Menu Maintenance, you can go Actions > Copy Security to current company and this will allow oyu to set the Allow/Disallow list and write to it like normal.   This does become painful if you want to do lots of changes as you’ll have to do it for EACH SEC ID.  In theory you could use DMT to create the ‘new’ menu security records.

Joseph is correct. The action copy security to current company will let you configure security groups and/or users for each menu item.

Userlevel 3

I messed with the company copy once before and got it very broken.  But that was while trying to resolve another issue where Material Requirements Planning was missing General Operations.  This was a know issue when moving to SaaS and Epicor was able to fix it.  I will try the copy it in our Pilot (now Test) database.  Thanks for the tips.

-Todd

Userlevel 3

Got a KB article from Epicor to confirm the copy process but when I try it I get a Business Logic Error:

Target Security row does already exist

Not sure what this is telling me but it is not what I expected at all.  Also not sure if it matters that I am trying it in our Pilot database and not Live.  I might need to re-open the previous case or make a new one.

-Todd

Userlevel 3

Logged a new case - waiting for response.  I did a BAQ and see that there are 10 or so menu items “owned” by the company.  No surprise these are the only ten I can make changes to.  Seems to be some sort of deadly embrace where the presence of these 10 prevents the Copy Security to the rest of the menu items.  I think this is leftover garbage from the cloud conversion a year or so ago.  Not sure how to blow away the 10 items and start fresh.

We are setting up our cloud kinetic 2022 now. I was asked to add security groups to our third environment. I have added the groups but when I try to assign these groups to the menu items, I check the box and save but when I refresh all of my changes disappear. For example I for Sales Management I checked Order Mgt-General Ops and saved but when I refresh or return to that menu there are no boxes checked. Any ideas on how to solve this? I have assigned the owning company and am set as a security manager.