Solved

Cloud Test Environment

• 2 December 2021
  • 4 replies

Userlevel 3

What are other sites in the Cloud doing for a Test environment?  We have Pilot, Live and Training.   Everywhere else I have worked at also had a Test database that we updated every week or so from Live and used it as a sandbox to play around in.  Does Epicor support this for the cloud?  If so I would assume there is a cost factor but it might be worth it.   The company has pretty much been hands-off on Pilot since their cloud migration last Spring.

icon

Best answer by charles.harris 3 December 2021, 20:06

View original

4 replies

Hi Todd, 

You can get additional environments, but they come at a cost. 

The good thing about them though, is you can either choose to have it as part of your contract with Epicor, or you can sort of use it on a ‘pay as you go’ basis per month, and can cancel when you don’t need it anymore, or if you need to cut costs for whatever reason.

HTH

Connor

Userlevel 2

We use the Pilot environment as our test, copying over Production about once a month.

As we had a purchase/sale at the end of October, I purchased a 3rd DB for six months in case the auditors needs something done.

Userlevel 3

Good to know a Test environment is available, even at extra cost.

Charles, are you in the Cloud or on-prem?  If Cloud how do you populate Pilot from Live?  Otherwise I thought this was a task only Cloud Support can do.  There are definitely limitations with SaaS that I am not really liking a lot.

-Todd

Userlevel 2

Todd,

We were hosted and then moved to Cloud in 2018.  

You are correct, copy Production to Pilot is a support function.   They can do it during the day (they prefer evenings or weekends), but you can push them to do it NOW.   I usually tell them to copy after 4pm, do not worry about any users logged on.  

Saas is the double edged sword.  I do not have pay for the equipment nor support staff needed to keep Epicor running.  When we were hacked… Epicor was unaffected and we could still run via the internet.

It has also gotten a lot more stable since 2014.   I would say 99.5% up time.