Solved

COASegValues - Add UD field

• 13 January 2021
  • 6 replies

• Anonymous
  • 0 replies

Has anyone added a UD field for a sub category for your general ledger account? Specifically for the COASegValues table.

I see there is this hierarchy already

Parent Category

Category

• Want to add a sub category so we can start using Power BI for our financials
icon

Best answer by thierry.cools 16 January 2021, 07:51

View original

6 replies

Userlevel 3

You have 25 segments already available that you could easily add a dynamic segment that would be populated base on a particular transaction and value.

Some that have been done are CustID, Project or salesRepID.

is that what you are looking for?

Thanks for the response. This is not to add a segment to the GL account, it is to group the GL Accounts together for Reporting. We want to be able to have 3 tiers. Right now we do our financials in Excel but want to move this to PowerBi so manual intervention is not needed each month. 

This is why I thought about adding a UD field

Here is an example:

• Operating Expenses (Parent Category)
    • Office Expense (Category)
      • Data Processing
      • Office/Shop Supplies
      • Rent
    • Travel (Category)
      • Fleet Costs
      • Travel
      • Meals

Userlevel 3

Why not go to the account segment values and assign your categories there?

There is a category already, we need 1 more level to the category. Am I missing something that there are already 3 levels of categories available in Epicor? 

Userlevel 1

Hi Rebecka,

No, you are not missing anything.

There is a possibility to playing with the Parent Category however adding the UD fields will be more simple and more clear as you will see at the level of the category the 3 levels you want to have.

We have been adding UD Fields in the segment to simplify the reporting of some of our customers. If you are in version 10, this is very easy to do. I will suggest to update the new field from the list so you don’t  have to update the form. As soon, you will have add the new field in Epicor, it will appear.

This is an example of UD fields we have been adding. In our case, it is to maintain 4 languages. It is different but it is just to show you an example.

Also, I am a big user of PowerBI, so an other possibility will be to create the different levels in PowerBI by splitting your category in the different level. Of course, if you do this, you can only use those sub-level in PowerBI. I hope this help, if you have any question about the COA or the reporting, don’t hesitate to contact us. We have a 25 years experience with Epicor and working in international, we have been working of a lot of different solutions to facilitate the reporting of our customers.

Have a nice and safe weekend,

Thierry - tco@pse.be

Userlevel 1

Hi Rebecka,

Also if you have a lot of reports to do in PowerBI, I will recommend a product that we use that is FastClose that facilitate the work in PowerBI, as already this product have a lot of of prebuild views that extract the data from Epicor and allow you to see them directly in excel and/or in PowerBI. This is not only GL, this also include all the other modules AP, AR, Projects…

This is the video of the integration with PowerBI : 

https://www.fastclose.uk/solutions/analytics-power-bi

Let me know if you have any questions, we can put you in touch with some of our customers using the solution. They will love to explain you what they did with it.

Have a nice weekend,

Thierry