Solved

Copy Test to Live

• 12 March 2024
  • 6 replies

The last two times we have copied our production client to the test client it has shut down the production client. We have had to get supports help to fix the issue. Has anyone else seen this? We are on 10.2.400.17 on our own server. Support has not been able to give us a good answer as to the reason. 

icon

Best answer by JWGStubbs 12 March 2024, 19:57

View original

6 replies

Userlevel 2

Is your test instance on a different server than Production? 

Userlevel 1

SQL ‘helpfully’ offers (and defaults) to take a tail log backup of the DB and set it in Recovery Mode, when you restore the backup to a different DB on the same server. One of the reasons I recommend people use a script to do the backup and restore process.

When you do the restore check the second tab and make sure it isn’t doing anything to the source db.

Thanks for the quick response. It is on the same server. I will send your I will SQL comment over to our I.T. person as she understands it better than me. 

Userlevel 2

We’ve been burned by it and it happened enough times that we eventually commissioned a new server that has our Pilot environment. 

One of the reasons I recommend people use a script to do the backup and restore process.

Is there a resource you’d recommend for creating this script? Even with different servers, there is still a dozen or so things I will routinely do when restoring a production backup to Pilot (such as disable schedules, turn off BPMs that send notification emails, change company name, etc.) I’ve never looked into it but I’ve heard it recommended before. 

We are looking at moving the Test DB to a different server. Having a script is also being looked at. 

Userlevel 1

Is there a resource you’d recommend for creating this script? 

Dare I say it, me? I can even get it to copy your last backup, stop appservers and the task agent service, restore - rejig etc. But I’m verging on advertising at this point.