Question

DB Server Configuration

• 1 February 2021
  • 4 replies

We are in the process of upgrading our DB Server and I was wondering if any one could give me your thoughts on how your configure your SQL DB’s to optimize performance.  We currently will have SSD’s and NVMe drive for the DB and wondering how everyone configures and places their logs and SQL files as well as what RAID version you are using.  Thanks for everyone’s thoughts!

4 replies

Userlevel 1

This doesn’t answer the question as you are asking it, but I think it is helpful to know that the Performance and Diagnostics tool (which is run AFTER DB and App server setup) can identify anything you’d need to do to improve performance.

Userlevel 3

Hey David, at a basic level you want to format your drives for large files, RAID 10.  I still recommend having separate drives for database, OS, logs, and temp db.  You’ll also want to configure multiple temp db files based on your setup.  There are a few considerations at the SQL Server and database level as well.  Private message me if you would like more details.

This doesn’t answer the question as you are asking it, but I think it is helpful to know that the Performance and Diagnostics tool (which is run AFTER DB and App server setup) can identify anything you’d need to do to improve performance.

I am aware of the tool, I was just curious on how other people had setup their partitions and Raid levels and how you separated your SQL Logs file and ReportServer LogFile.  Thanks for your thoughts!

Userlevel 2

We initially setup our database with mechanical drives and used the DB IO tool to measure.  While we were able to meet the standard this was not enough to give adequate performance.  When we replaced our disk array with SSD’s this improved things immensely.

I assume you are in possession of the hardware manual on the EpicWeb site. I would view these as minimum requirements. Make sure you download the latest version because, for some reason, this manual lacks version control or a date.  (This might have changed)

I seem to recall that the FAQ for Kinetic says that memory per user is increased so make sure you benchmark your system to avoid end user disappointment on live day! (This is not a DB issue but your users only know you have rolled out a slow system)