Question

E9 to Kinetic

• 11 April 2022
  • 2 replies

Userlevel 2

In E9 we have a lot of Views and Stored Procedures to hive off specific information which is used in external sources. I was wondering if anyone has done similar in the past and what they did with these when moving to kinetic? 

A conversation was had between our Infrastructure lead and an EPICOR guy and it has been suggested that we should use BAQs instead of these views etc…

Anybody else heard this?

2 replies

With E10 now having REST API, I’d highly recommend you look to have those BAQs setup and use a REST call to pull the data instead. 

Hi Daniel,

We also have a handful of SQL views and stored procedures that are used in external reports or integrations with other applications. We’re not on Kinetic yet - we’re on 10.2.600. I think these will still work when we go to Kinetic since our database will be on-prem. Converting the views and stored procedures to BAQs would work but that requires modification of the external app to use REST to access the BAQ. We go this route for new integrations but we haven’t had time to modify our existing integrations yet.

If you’re database will be on-prem when you go to Kinetic then you should be able to keep using direct connections to SQL. You’ll want to make sure that the user or app accessing a view or SP only has read permission to the database and only the minimum permissions required to select the data they need. Note that the officially recommended way to access any data is to use Epicor’s business logic, which means a BAQ/REST in cases like this. 

I look forward to hearing what others with more experience have to say about this.

Carl