Question

EWB - Check In and Approve in an Up Rev/Rev Replacement situation

• 27 April 2022
  • 2 replies

Business Scenario:  Revision 001 is being upreved/replaced by 002  

I create the new Revision in Part Maintenance (002) and check out both revision 001 and the new revision 002.

I go to Revision 002 and Get Details from Revision 001.  I make the applicable changes to Revision 002.

I am now ready to check in both revisions.  When I do so, I want to check in Revision 001 but as UNAPPROVED and Revision 002 APPROVED; thus Revision 002 is now the only approved revision.

When I do this, both Revisions are checked in & both revisions come back as APPROVED.

How do I bring Revision 001 back in but as UNAPPROVED and Revision 002 as APPROVED?

Thanks in advance for suggestions.

Patty Buechler

2 replies

Userlevel 3

You didn’t need to check out Rev 001. You create Rev 002 in Eng Workbench, then Get Details from Rev 001 into that new Rev 002. So, Rev 001 was never touched.

At some point, you can Undo Checkout in Eng Workbench for that Rev 001, and it will undo any changes you made. But, if you have already checked it back in, it’s too late for that.

Any Revision can be Approved or Unapproved directly from Part > Revision without using Eng Workbench. So, you should be able to just uncheck Approved on Rev 001 and you’re done.

Thanks Andrew for the suggestion.

We are trying to incorporate more control to the Part Revision.  To do so, we changed Field Security - PartRev:  Approval Flag,  Approved Date, Approval By to Read Only for all users.  Therefore, the person responsible for the Revision must check the Part Revision out to make any changes.  

We’ve tested multiple ways and found the Undo Checkout in the EWB for Rev 001 to be the only way to bring it back in but remain unapproved.

Thanks, Patty Buechler