Exchange virus

• 2 April 2021
  • 3 replies

Userlevel 2

We are victims of the out break of the exchange virus. We host our email on our own exchange server and most of our server programs are in the 2014 versions. Our IT service notified us of the breach on on Tuesday March 16 and we planned to upgrade exchange in order to be able to apply the remedy from Microsoft. On Friday March 19th no one could log into our servers.  We had to create a new domain but were not confident in restoring any back ups for fear of reintroducing the virus. We replaced all of our workstations instead of reformatting hard drives and reinstalling windows. In several days were able to move email to office 365 cloud and get that back. It took a full week to rebuild and restore Epicor. We still don’t have APM and any emails prior  to the crash. We are a small company 40 employees with 15 Epicor users.  The cost of restoration right now is about $37,000. I hope my  data policy in my liability insurance policy covers  most of it but I think there will be some battles. If you have exchange on your server I strongly recommend you make sure you are protected from this attack.

3 replies

Sorry to hear about your experience. As a small company I would highly recommend moving your email and office deployment to the cloud. We have been using some form of office365 for over a decade now and the elimination of overhead requirements of maintaining exchange alone has paid for itself.

Userlevel 2

We planned on moving email to the cloud this month but did it as soon as possible after restore. Also in process of moving Epicor to the cloud doing our first pilot approval this week.

You will have to tell me how the Epicor cloud thing works out for you. I have not gone down that path yet. Seems we have a few too many hurdles to go there with what we have customized at this point. Good luck to you!