Question

Figuring out subcontractor shipment

• 9 November 2021
  • 3 replies

Userlevel 1

I’m looking for best practices regarding and process for subcontractor shipments. The conundrum for us is that we have several jobs with only a subcontract operation. The result is that we want to send part A to the vendor and receive back part B.

I think that the logic would work like this. But I want to know what we are missing or if there is a simpler way of doing it.

• We make a Job 123 to create Part A.
  • It has one material Part B
  • It has one subcontract Operation 10. The part on that operation is Part C.
  • We create a subcontract PO for Operation 10 / Part C
  • We issue Part B to Job 123
    • This must create a label for Part B that changes it or explains that we are calling it Part C.
  • We ship Part C (aka Part B) to the subcontractor.
  • We receive back Part C (aka Part A) from the subcontractor. Thus completing Operation 10.
  • We receive Part C into stock. Which also completes Job 123.

It does seem like it would be a lot easier if we had an outbound and inbound part on the operation.

3 replies

Hi Doug, if the job is to create Part A, how do you receive Part C to stock? You must mean you receive Part A to stock. I’m assuming you are selling Part A to the customer.

I agree with buying part B and it’s the raw material to the job and having a subcontracted operation to process the part with the subcontractor. I do believe you need an additional operation on your job as the last operation on a job can’t be a subcontracted operation. Add an additional operation and call it Quality or Inspection as you are going to inspect the returned part once it comes back.

I’m not at all sure why Part C needs to be used in this scenario, maybe there is additional information I’m not seeing? If you need to add a label, I’d add the label stock as raw material and consume this on the job as well. Shawn

Userlevel 1

You are correct that I need to receive part A to stock. Not part C. My point is that is it confusing since part C has to be sent & received on the PO. In reality I'm sending out part B and it is returning as part A and I am frustrated that I cannot figure out a way in Epicor to make that happen. I’m leaning towards your additional label idea. It just seems that Epicor should have some functionality to send out a part called “unfinished widget” and return “plated widget.” I need to actually stock unfinished widget because in might be sent to a subcontractor to become “plated widget” and it might go to our powder coating department to be come “coated widget” depending on demand.

So Part A is a Plated widget, Plate B is a Coated widget then. Part C is the Raw material for both parts.

You would create a job to create part C as “Stock” parts with whatever is required to prepare them to the point they can be sent to the sub contacted operation, but receive them to stock and hold them as “In Process” parts. 

Then as demand comes in for Part A or B you create jobs for each with Part C as the raw material and each MOM for A and B would contain their respective sub contracted Operation 10 either Coat or plate.

Ultimately plated and coated parts are not the same and should not have the same part number. The process to make each is different.