Question

How can you change a scrap qty if the labor record in time and expense is no longer reacallable?

• 29 March 2023
  • 5 replies

Finance runs Capture COS/WIP every week. This results in situations where the labor record in Time & Expense cannot be recalled to adjust the scrap qty when errors have been made.  This is for scrap not NCR/DMR. 

A few things we have tried:

Not allowed to enter a negative scrap qty from MES

Not allowed to enter a negative scrap qty from a new Time & Expense detail record.

Cannot adjust scrap qty from Job Adjust.

Does anyone know a way to adjust the scrap qty in an operation if labor has already been pulled? We are a foundry so we experience a fair amount of scrap. Would LOVE to find a way to adjust scrap qtys.

Thank you for your help.

5 replies

We are a foundry also and accuracy in labor and scrap reporting has always been a challenge for us. We have started to implement a production tracking system that records quantities directly from a machine and allows the operator to mark parts as scrap. These quantities are automatically imported to the MES End Activity screen. There are still some discrepancies, but our counts are better than they used to be.

As far as I know, the only way to change quantities after labor has been posted is to perform a quantity adjustment. (Material Management > Inventory Management > General Operations > Quantity Adjustment)

I don’t think that changes the job at all. It only changes the quantity in a warehouse/bin.

Userlevel 1

We just wait an extra week. But the above comment is correct we can still adjust quantities after that With Quantity Adjust or Job Adjust.

Userlevel 4

It’s also my understanding that after COS/WIP capture prevents Time and Expense Entry changes, the next best way is for a Job Adjustment.  We used to say, once you post, you’re toast.

This caused us great pain early on in Epicor. What we did was only run Capture and Post once a month after all time and expense entries have been verified for accuracy. 

Userlevel 4

@rhunt 

It’s a balancing act; monthly close may be delayed if COS/WIP capture is only run once a month; I’ve seen some Epicor client companies run twice a month, coinciding with a payroll run.  The only upside I’ve heard for more frequent runs of the capture, is to save time in monthly closing.