Question

Issuing reeled components to a job

• 29 September 2021
  • 2 replies

Userlevel 2

We are trying to come up with a best practice process with regards to issuing reeled components to a job. If we have a requirement for a reeled component on a job currently will will issue the whole reel quantity to a job, not the required quantity (We currently buy to Job). No we do this so the reel cannot inadvertently get issued to another Job however this also causes us issues if we need to process a material milestone against the WIP quantity. 

What i need to know is if there are any other users out there that issue reeled components to Jobs and how they do it as i am sure the way it is currently done in STI is not best practice and actually causes us more problems than it solves? 

Thanks.

2 replies

Userlevel 1

We deal with fabric. Each roll is lot controlled. So as we cut from a roll we remove from a specific lot. Part tracker shows lots so you can see roll length.  You could do the same thing with cable, wire rope etc.

Some ways I have seen:

1. Issue the full quantity of the reel. (causes problems with PO suggestions if not returned timely)
  1. Issue the full amount the job wants.
  2. Issue retrospectively what was used, weight/remeasure e.g.
  3. Backflushing this material.
  4. Line side inventory. Essentially a new bin which you move the quantity to (a soft issue so to speak), so it is not invisible to stuff like PO Suggestions. Then either do a or b.

There’s more, some better some worse. But here are the common ones I have seen.