Question

Lineset (Line Set) Processing in Epicor

• 16 February 2022
  • 2 replies

Userlevel 4

When a customer orders line sets to a set specification, they want a semi-serialized set of products coming from the order line, manufactured by job, and shipped to the customer with the line set sequence labeled on each item.  I say semi-serialized because it’s not a true serial number for the part; instead, it’s a sequence number within the order or job.  For example, part ABC62 for customer ABC, quantity 200 might be numberered ABC-ABC62-0001 through ABC-ABC62-0200 and the formatting of the line set numbering is specified by the customer.

The EDI interface includes parameters for line set ordering.

I have not seen this feature implemented in Epicor.  Who has done it successfully, and what customizations did you have to install, to make it work?

Thanks,

...Monty.

2 replies

Userlevel 2

Monty;

Couldn’t you leverage the serial number functionality and auto assign a serial to each part?  Store the first serial for the job in a header UD field and when you generate your label you could subtract that from the serial to get your set number?

The challenge would be if the same part would be in production in two different jobs at the same time.   This would mix the number between two jobs.

Regards,

Graeme

Userlevel 4

@graemer 

Dear Graeme,

Thanks for that input!  I do like the idea of each part having a serial number, even if it’s internal to us.  I wonder if serial numbers could be made completely automatic (no shop personnel having to generate or select a serial number) then BPMs could create and maintain the line set formatting and numbering, with a cross reference to the serialized parts.

Thank you

..Monty.