Question

manufacturing in batches

• 8 July 2021
  • 2 replies

Userlevel 2

I have a new machine that processes parts in various size batches depending on how many parts fit in a carrier. It could be anywhere from 5 to 100 pieces and five carriers run per load. SO I could have anywhere from 25 to 500 pieces processed simultaneously.  I am wondering  what is the best way to estimate time and expense.  we generally use pieces per hour or minutes per piece depending on how long a process takes. My concern is mostly on small quantities.  For example if a batch of 100 pieces takes fifteen minutes that is 400 pieces an hour.  But if I only have 20 pieces it still takes 15 minutes not 3 minutes.  

Problem 2 . I can mix batches so I can run mutliple jobs at once. What is the best settings in Resource group for running multiple jobs simultaneously for splitting time.

2 replies

Userlevel 3

Problem 1) Use Cycles for your production standard - you can set 15 minutes per cycle and 1,000 parts per cycle. 

Problem 2) On the resource group, you want labor = burden, because you will be clocking into several jobs at the same time to produce the products.

Note (I did this from memory not looking at the screen so the terms might be similar above).

Userlevel 2

I will try that. I have never used cycles. I didn’t see min/cycle in there which would work best.