Question

Maximize Use of Epicor 10...?

• 18 January 2024
  • 6 replies

Small manufacturing company using Epicor 10.  I am being asked by upper management on ways we can fully utilize the power of Epicor 10.  The thought is that we are not using it to its full potential.

In order to answer that question, I would first think that I would need to have someone identify all current pain points, and then address those pain points using a solution in Epicor.

I have very limited experience with Epicor, and just looking for some input/guidance on how to handle answering such a question. 

I know this is a broad and general question, but any input/guidance would be greatly appreciated.

6 replies

Userlevel 2

Welcome.

Easy answer, there will always be something more you can do in Epicor.  It really depends on how much you can push your users to utilize all the tools at their fingers.  

AvCarb went live July 2014 and have a lot of Epicor’s modules.  I use a lot of them, but most users barely get past the basic function of what they have to do.  Such as I still have users running the classic interface because they do not like change.   

I would suggest starting with the basic tools provided:  BAQ, Dashboards, EDD - get information in front of management, this will force users to start input additional data when management sees what is lacking.  It starts at the top, without support users will not grow.

cch

Userlevel 4

@michael.lintz@martinyale.com 

Hello Michael.

Since you said that you are “being asked by upper management on ways we can fully utilize the power of Epicor 10” and that you have “very limited experience with Epicor”, the very first question that came to mind was… does anyone at your company even really have any idea of everything that the application can do?  Seems to me that should be your starting point, i.e. to have a fundamental understanding of the application’s capabilities before trying to decide where to focus your efforts.  If you don’t have that fundamental understanding, then I would recommend obtaining and thoroughly reviewing the application user guide and the implementation user guide for the particular release that you are running.

Regards,

Michael,

I was approached similarly about 13 years ago and today I’m the Sr. ERP Manager and love what I do.

I’m curious what your role is and how much you will want to be a part of leading this effort. I’m guessing there is a reason they asked you the question. It’s a big question and could be the start of a long, challenging, scary, rewarding journey. Among other things, I found the book, Control Your ERP Destiny, by Steven Scott Phillips, to be very helpful.

Userlevel 3

Depending on the commitment level of “Upper Management” and with you admitting to not being a power user in Epicor, I suggest having a Business Process Review with the help of a consultant that will map out all your current processes and then recommend a plan of attack to get to a better utilization level of the software.  If you sit in on all the sessions during the review, that would be a big benefit to you as well.

In addition, look to see if you have a Regional User Group in the area and attend their sessions.  This goes a long way to gaining an understanding of the software.  If you do not have an active group near you, look for ones that offer virtual meetings.

One more thing, Epicor Insights is right around the corner.  I would highly recommend that as well.  There are classes for beginners to advanced.  Big bang for the buck at this conference.

Good Luck!

Userlevel 1

Check with your Epicor CAM to see if they are still offering the Value Exchange Workshop. 

Basic idea is Epicor people come in and meet with users to determine needs, pain points, etc, then offer solutions. Those solutions can be relatively easy and handled in house to you need a new module and some custom coding. But it is free (or at least was) besides your people’s time to meet with Epicor people then reconvene to hear the review.

Userlevel 3

Good comments above:

1. Attend Epicor Insights multiple times (I go nearly every year, even though I have been using Epicor for 20 years)
  2. Have Epicor do a Business Process Review or Value Exchange or whatever they call them now.
  3. Participate in EUG and EpiUsers
  4. Read the user guides and technical Reference guides
  5. Build relationship with good consultants, either directly Epicor, or private.  I can recommend some.