Question

Missing Serial Numbers

• 3 November 2021
  • 3 replies

Userlevel 1

Wondering if anyone else has this issue or knows what we may be doing to be causing it: 

We went live a year ago and since the beginning, we have been running into serial number issues all the time.

we run into issues where we have more on hand inventory than we have serial numbers in inventory. We end up needing to create dummy serial numbers in serial number maintenance to adjust them off. But how did the inventory get on there in the first place without a serial number? The parts were correct at the last cycle count. 

I am wondering that if something is happening during transfer order shipments/receivals, inventory moves, or intercompany shipment/receivals that the serial number statuses are changing and not following the inventory? 

Just wondering if anyone has experienced something similar. This is really frustrating and we are spending hours almost everyday tracking down parts and serial numbers and making corrections. 

3 replies

Userlevel 2

We’ve had similar frustrations. They are probably still in the system. The goofy thing that happens is that anytime you pull up that Retrieve Serial Numbers screen, it’s looking for Serial Numbers filtered to a specific “SN Status”. For instance, to pick a serial number for an inventory related transaction, it is looking for status = INVENTORY. For a stock adjustment into stock, it’s looking for status = ADJUSTED I think. When you adjust it out, that’s the status it will change it to. 

If you have the part number, check out the Part Tracker and go to Serial Numbers tab. Check all the checkboxes. See if you find more than you think you have sitting around.

Userlevel 1

We do check the part tracker and I even pulled a BAQ of all the serial number transactions for all the serial numbers for that part to see if I can find missing receipts. I think there might just be a lot of bugs in the system. 

This morning ran into another scenario where we completed a DMR for a serialized part and it was the final operation and completed the operation. The DMR activity for the job went DMR-ASM and then MFG-STK essentially in the one step. The inventory moved to stock however the serial number that was in the DMR just went to WIP. I had to manually move the status so they are matched up again. So another case of mismatching serial number counts and inventory counts. 

Userlevel 1

DMR’s are one source of this issue. You may also want to have a look at RMAs, inspections, WIP, picked shipments (not shipped yet) and arrived receipts (not received yet). Usually, this happens when you miss a step somewhere or you don’t complete the processes as Epicor wants.