Question

Moving inventory in-between operations to warehouse

• 28 November 2023
  • 6 replies

Hello all,

We are trying to find a solution for parts that are in process but need to be moved to the warehouse between operational steps. Most of the times we have to wait a few days/weeks after completing an operation before beginning the next operation. This is due to machine availability. In our current process we use a 3rd party system that creates a part number outside of Epicor. We then can use this part number to move inventory to and around the warehouse and the next operation when needed. We are also able to use the 3rd party system to check inventory quantity. We are hoping to use only Epicor moving forward. We have a mix of make to order and make to stock jobs. We have looked at using WIP transaction history tracker, but have run into some issues with this as we cannot see quantities of all partially completed jobs in WIP and in stock at the same time. With make to stock, the issue is, Epicor does not issue a lot number till the final operation. We can have multiple lots in our warehouse, so we need to have the lot numbers to accurately track each job as they move through each operation. How do/would you handle when you complete an operation and need to store the part before it gets to the next operation?

6 replies

Userlevel 3

Do you have a logical step at which you can “interupt” the manufacturing process? 

We are just starting to break up our manufacturing process, creating sub-assembly items, which we place into inventory.  When required, we pull those items from inventory and move them through the remainder of the manufacturing process.  Everything we manufacture is serialized, and Epicor assigns the Serial number at the beginning of the manufacturing process. 

If you create Sub-Assemblies, at the end of the job, can you assign the Lot number to the items?

When you move these sub-assemblies to the next step in the manufacturing process, you would issue the material to a new job, thus you will see where the Lot Number was used.  If you need to assign a new Lot Number at the end of the full manufacturing process, you should be able to.

Do you have a logical step at which you can “interupt” the manufacturing process? 

It can be between any of the operations. Our part can have 1 to 4 operations.

On the sub-assembly,  when in engineering workbench, did you check “pull as Assembly”, “Plan as assembly” or “View as Assembly”?

Userlevel 2

You would want the subassemblies to be Pull as Assembly = false on the Engineering Workbench for the next job to process them as completed parts from the warehouse. If you check true, it will attempt to build that subassembly on the next job and you don’t want that… you have already done it. 

Userlevel 3

Do you have AMM (Advanced Material Management)?  I think that can do what you are asking.

Yes we do have AMM

Userlevel 3

AMM reaches into many parts of the system.  You say that you have it.  Is it implemented?

At this point, I am going to suggest you reach out to a consultant because I think that is the next best step.  Sure there are workarounds, but I think you can make this work in Epicor.

I did find an old thread asking what I believe to be the same question you are asking with this answer:

Do you have AMM? It can help with this a lot. It is a chore to set up the in and out locations for moving between operations but once done works well to know where things are at. Operators can clock out of the job with items in their "out" location (bin) and signal a move request to the next operations "in" bin (or spot on the floor). The utility person doing the move then records the move (typically on a mobile device).

Todd Caughey
Business Systems Manager
Dalsin Industries, Inc.