Question

Net change MRP - MRP Recalc Required?

• 10 February 2022
  • 4 replies

We are planning to upgrade to Kinetic version 2021.2.7 soon, but have found an issue with the MRP Recalc process.  Epicor has confirmed that there is a bug and is working to fix it in a future release.  We typically run a full regen over the weekend and a Net change during the week.  Prior to the net change MRP, we are running the MRP Recalc.  Unfortunately, the fix will not be in place prior to our scheduled go-live date.  Support has indicated that the MRP Recalc is not required prior to the Net change MRP, but we are concerned that without this, it may not catch everything that it should.  We need to make a decision if we can go live without this working, so I wanted to poll other users to see what their experience is with the Recalc process and to find out if they agree with support that it would be a low risk to run the Net Change MRP without first running this.  Thoughts?

4 replies

Userlevel 3

Can you share the specific issue?  You just state there is a bug.  We run a full regen every night so perhaps not an issue?  If you advise the specific issue, I can advise my team to do some targeted testing during our upgrade.

We cannot get the process to complete in our 2021.2.7 environment.  If it’s run during the day, it eventually brings the server to it’s knees and we have to kill it after a few hours.  If run overnight, it will run for about 8 hours and eventually ends in a time out error.  In our current production environment (10.2.400.31), it takes about 5 minutes to complete successfully.  I asked support for details on the cause of the bug they found, but they did not provide anything more than development has it accepted it as a bug/problem and that it would be fixed in a future release.

Sorry I don’t have more details!

Patti

Userlevel 4

This is the first issue I’ve heard of regarding the functionality of K21 vs. 10.2, that’s NOT about the new screens just not being ready for live action.  I’d be interested to know the PRB number of the issue, and in what release it was discovered.  I’ve heard good things about 10.2.700, which we’re now upgrading to from 10.2.500, and of course MRP is a key component to such a large majority of members’ systems here, including ours.  We have two companies, and MRP runs for 3 hours for one of them and 30 minutes for the other, as of 10.2.500, but we do regen nightly.  I wonder what could be triggering this PRB; I’ve not tried the combination of the recalc with daily net change, and weekly regen.

Some ideas: have you run the benchmarking tool that attempts to find resource limitations?  And have you tried running MRP net-change on a limited set of your parts, using filters?

And is there anything out of the ordinary, about your manufacturing Methods?

The problem # is PRB0246037.  I’m surprised at how many companies seem to be running a full regen nightly.  Our MOMs are quite complex with many subassemblies, and we have many parts.  Our full regen over the weekend takes about 7.5 hours for 1 plant and about a half hour for the other which is much smaller.