Question

Pop-Up List of Alternate Parts When On Hand Qty < Sale Order Qty?

We currently have a Method Directive BPM on SalesOrder.MasterUpdate that displays a warning message when the OrdDtl.OrdQty field of the changed row is greater than OrdDtlRow.AvailableQuantity.

In other words, it pops up a message in front of the CSR’s when they are entering an order line to let them know if they have enough in stock to complete the order.

The pop up message displays the OrderQty and the AvailableQty.

It’s pretty helpful, but what we would like to be able to do is take it a step further and display BAQ data for all of the Alternate Parts, pertaining to the part on that SO line, and their On Hand Qty, so the CSR’s might be able to (quickly) suggest another part that is in stock to the customer.

Does anyone know, A) if this is possible, and B) how it can be accomplished? C) If not possible, do you have any suggestions for something similar?

Yes, I know I could create a dashboard with the BAQ and include a filter for PartNum, but I’m hoping to provide a point of entry solution right there, with SO Entry to make it as easy as humanly possible to make the switch, without extra effort/rabbit chasing on the part of the CSRs.

The BAQ is already created, I’m just not well versed enough in the BPM portion to know how to proceed.

Thanks in advance for your help!

12 replies

Userlevel 4

@info 

Yes, it definitely is possible, and it doesn’t necessarily require a BPM or any code.  We have the very same business use case that you have, and we literally have thousands of alternate parts in the system.  Please allow me a little time to gather the information and then I will post another reply.

Regards,

Userlevel 1

Info-

Look into using a BAQ Zone on the part number field in the sales order entry screen.  This may be a quick way to display your BAQ results when the user hovers over the field to see all the inventory.

HTH,

Calvin

@slepley looking forward to more info, thank you

@calvind we do have a BAQ Zone on part already to help them find the initial part, thanks for the suggestion

Userlevel 4

@info @calvind 

I’ve never tried setting up a BAQ Zone, but Calvin’s description surely sounds enticing.  Is it easy to create a BAQ Zone?  If so, could you very briefly describe how to do that?

Regards,

Userlevel 1

@info -

Write a BAQ returning the data your users want to see.  Part Number, Whs, Bin, Qty…..

Open: Extended Property Maintenance & search for the table behind the field you’re linking the BAQ onto.  For your example:  OrderDtl.PartNum.  If you not sure of the field, Field Help from the help menu can display the table & field for the screen object.  Go through the list of Fields on the fields tab and find the one you’re looking for.  Next, in the BAQ Zone field on the screen, enter your BAQ Name.

For something with as many records as the part table, I would not advise clicking the “Empty search” feature in Extended Property Maintenance.  This checkbox is ok for small result-set BAQs but not queries that can return 1000s of rows.

Re-open the order entry screen and there should be a blue arrow carrot on the side of the PartNum field.  Enter a part number and hover over the field.  This should display the results of your BAQ for the PartNum entered.

For more complex BAQ Zone you can also add in customization maintenance as well as bind to other dataview fields.  The Customization User Guide has the steps for this.

HTH,

Calvin

@slepley

System Setup > System Mtce > Ext Properties

Enter the Table (Part), Expand the Fields and Find the one you want (in this case PartNum)

There is a Zone BAQ field where you can select a BAQ you created (in our case a BAQ that has the part numbers, their on hand qty and cost info)

On the Part.PartNum filed in Part Entry, there will now be a black triangle at the end of the field. If you start typing a part number, then hover over the triangle, a list of parts that begin with what you typed should pop up.

Userlevel 4

Very interesting, thank you both!  For our solution, I created a Quick Search, but it sounds like setting up a BAQ Zone might have been a better solution.

@slepley I have never set up a quick search before, and I’m not sure of the steps there.

We are already using the BAQ Zone on the PartDtl.PartNum to help our CSR’s find the initial part number and provide other useful data on it. Replacing the BAQ there with the Alternate Parts BAQ I created would probably send our customer service department into a tailspin and get me burned at the stake. They are not so good with change.

Userlevel 3

To create a quick search, right click the field where you want to use it and  select quick search entry.  Have fun!  We have replaced the default search with quick searches in a few places like Customer.

@slepley @calvind - I did get the OK to swap out the current ZBAQ w/ the new one, do either of you know if there is a way to permanently resize and move the placement of the BAQ Zone window? Or does it always pop up, the same size, in the upper left corner of the triangle at the end of the field? 

I looked at the Ice Guide and Customization guide to refresh my brain and I see you can use customization to “embed” the Zone BAQ instead of going through Ext Prop, but I didn’t see a way to further customize.

It does not look like users can use the personalizations to resize the window and save the layout either because they disappear the second you click away. Any workarounds/fixes, or are we out of luck on this method?

Userlevel 1

Unfortunately, the BAQ zone is what it is.

I have heard of people trying to use BAQ Display Column formatting to help with column sizing, but I’m not sure if it has yielded any good results.

The location of the blue carrot cannot be moved as well as where it pops up.

Sorry.

HTH,

Calvin

@calvind that’s kind of what I thought, just crossing my t’s and dotting my i’s before I confirm with my team we are S out of luck on that front. thx