Question

Project Shortages

• 1 June 2021
  • 6 replies

We are a project based business that configures our top level assembly  item through multiple levels of BOMs and assemblies.  An order can typically have numerous configurable items. Trying to  provide an estimated delivery date is cumbersome, without knowing what shortages may exist at the lower levels of all the different configurable items. 

Has anyone found a report or a way to identify shortages at a project level without having to go into each job individually. 

6 replies

I have been fighting this issue for quite sometime. There is no 100% way of doing this if you do not purchase/manufacturing to job. 

If you purchase/manufacture to stock like we do there is no direct link between demand and supply that can be referenced. 

What I had to do is create a CTE BAQ based on the tables used in the production planning process. 

The anchor select started at the top level product and the CTE select went through all the iterations. 

However, the further down the BOM you go the more false positives you receive because a single low level job can be servicing multiple top level jobs. I have attempted to weed out those false positives using due dates in a dashboard, but even still I get a fair amount. However, with a dashboard created from the BAQ I was able to cut the overall shortage research to 25% of the time without the tool.

I have added what I mocked up in sql first as an attachment. I have translated it to a BAQ following the CTE help subjects. Look for ‘TOP LEVEL PART’ to put in your top level part num. 

If anyone knows of a better solution. I am all ears!

BTW if management comes back to me with this not being adequate, and if no one else has better ideas, I will probably see if I can leverage ML/AI. 

That is exactly what we do at SourceDay! We bridge the gap between buyers and suppliers and allow complete visibility through automation in our portal. We also guarantee 80% adoption rate of suppliers.We do it down the the project level. This helps you manage your inventory and suppliers OTD.

Here is a link to a webinar that Epicor expert, Jim Frye (former Solutions Engineer at Epicor for 15 years) conducted:

https://sourceday.com/resource/4-ways-to-bridge-the-gap-between-epicor-and-your-suppliers/

We can provide a complimentary assessment and demo of the solution which is an extension of your ERP.

Patty

patty.loessberg@sourceday.com

Thank you for your reply C Seher...We are just 2 months into Epicor now ,and still quite chaotic, trying to get orders scheduled appropriately due to the multiple levels we have. No linkage between order lines on a sales order to provide good delivery dates. 

E Horak

I assume you are running MRP and scheduling? 

Yes, we are running MRP and Scheduling