Solved

Quantity Adjustment Not Following Serial Number Format?

• 29 December 2020
  • 7 replies

Userlevel 4

I’m creating a part with a four-digit numeric serial number, with an alphanumeric prefix.  But when I try to quantity adjust-in one each of the part, and click the Serial Number button and Create Serial Numbers tab, my chosen format is not being followed; anyone have experience with this?

Part Maintenance specification of serial number format shown below, followed by what’s shown when I try to create a serial number in Quantity Adjustment.  It defaults to 20 digits with no prefix, rather than the 4 digits with alphanumeric prefix I’ve chosen.  Any ideas?

​​​​​​Part Maintenance

icon

Best answer by Anonymous 29 December 2020, 15:52

View original

7 replies

Userlevel 2

I think you need to update the base to be Alphanumeric.  It is only wanting to use numbers because you have selected numeric only.  Help states the following.  

We use Serial Mask for one of our numbers to ensure the numeric part increments in sequence.  Not sure if this is the exact problem but worth a try.

Userlevel 4

Hi

The serial number format should be Serial Mask and then in Serial Mask Maintenance you setup the options required, apply that to the Part then you should be good to go

Userlevel 4

@jowings @sue.lowden 

Thanks Josh and Sue!  So in Serial Mask Maintenance, I’m creating a mask, checking Active, Generation Type, then trying to get a simplified prefix of 84A by choosing Prefix Length 3, Suffix Length 0, Mask 84A, and starting sequence 0001 but an error is displayed.  Can you see what my issue is here?

Thanks

….Monty.

Monty Wilson

ERP Project Mgr

Anchor Partners

Monty.Wilson@epicorusers.org

Illegal Characters Error

Userlevel 2

Your valid characters can be found in Company Configuration.  See this screen snip.

Available mask characters

Here is what you need.

My example

Mask details

Mask Details

Serial format

Serial Format

This should get you….

Userlevel 3

Monte,

I recall having similar trouble when setting up or changing Serial Number formatting for some parts. My problem turned out to be a hard-to-define quirk in the Serial Number Format screen that doesn’t always seem to update the database when changes are made.  I think the solution for us was to temporarily change the base number structure from, say, Numeric only to Alpha, then close and save the Part, then reopen Serial Number Format again and change back to Numeric only, and save. I think when it is properly saved there is a pop-up message about propagating that change to all existing S/Ns for that part. If you don’t see that message, then it’s not really making any changes. 

I think from what you describe, you do want Numeric Only, as in your first post.  

If you are always using 84A as a prefix and want 4 random numeric serial numbers, I think another solution is to enter 84A in prefix, number of digits is 4, leading zeros checked. Additionally, make sure you watch out for your site SN setup if you are setting up SN’s in multiple places. We have a part manufactured in 2 sites, so we have prefix’s setup for each site. We tried working with masks but thought it wasn’t necessary since we were able to use prefix. 

Userlevel 4

Thanks one and all.  And H/T CodaBears for one of their instructional videos as well.  I still don’t understand when a mask is needed and when it’s not, but you’ve helped me establish a baseline behavior that will get us started on the custom serial number code we’ll need for this customer.

Best,

……...Monty.