Question

Regen Data Model

Userlevel 2

Quick question as i am trying to eliminate some issues in Kinetic.

When should you run the Regen Data Model? I have been running it when adding UD Fields etc BUT should it be run after other Customisations?

Cheers.

3 replies

No.  The only time that you need to regen the data model is when you are changing the schema (adding UD fields).  Customizations don’t affect a change to the schema.

Userlevel 3

Agree with @ssearle , the only time you need to run the Data Model Regen process is when modifying schema information.  That is adding UD fields to tables or changing the description/text of any field to increase the Help Text information.  If you create a UD field and they realize you need to change the field (before it is populated) from a character field of length 25 to length 50, making that change would require the Data Model Regen to be run.  You would see this need when looking at the table you added a UD field to and it will indicate the Data Model Not in Sync.  This means the old version of the field definition is in use, until the regen is performed. 

Userlevel 2

There are a few other times you may need to run it:

When installing Country Specific Functionality packs - these usually require it.

When installing a CSG Extension like Document Sender - this usually requires it.

When applying a patch of course - and what I’ve found is that sometimes I need to run it again after the Epicor installer finished and says it’s all good, but the appserver fails to start. Regen again usually fixes it.