Question

REST to Link Excel to BAQ - BAQ Labels

• 4 August 2021
  • 4 replies

Hoping for some guidance.

We’re in the process of moving to Epicor in the Cloud at which point I’m going to lose access to my Excel SQL Views that are currently linked to the database on Prem.

I’ve been advised that i need to use REST to link Excel to Epicor BAQs stored in the cloud to provide similar functionality to my current linked SQL views.

I can access the BAQs via REST but am frustrated that the linked data is pulling through the Field names such as Invcdtl.InvoiceNum rather than the BAQ Label from the BAQ that displays in the BAQ preview and the Dashboards.

Does anyone know if there is any way to get REST to pull through the Labels rather than the full field names?

Sorry if this is a novice question.

Cheers

Martin

4 replies

Userlevel 3

Martin, I don’t know if this has been implemented yet. There was an enhancement request to update the Rest 2.0 API to return the field labels rather than the field names but this is going back to 2019/2020. I can’t recall the ID of the enhancement request.

I think the original request went back to 10.2.400

Userlevel 3

Hi Martin,

The way round it is load the returned REST data to the built-in Excel power query and do this replacement overthere, it is very powerful tool and has got many sophisticated commands and the option of using M code if you need as well. 

Userlevel 4

So if we use Excel SQL views, moving to the cloud (at least what Epicor calls Cloud which means they host it) will cause the workbooks to stop working until they’re rebuilt using REST calls?

Userlevel 3

@mwilson

we are still On prem mate, but i think what you questioning is correct SQL views is not available for Epicor Cloud, that is why REST is been used, my advice is to start using REST any way as it is very straight forward, one time built within Epicor, and easy to maintain and/or update, i.e. you only need to update the URL link if server path changed as all BAQ will be taken care of any way on any Epicor upgrade.

https://www.epiusers.help/t/e10-2-400-rest-excel-2016-not-working-for-me/60393/36?u=a.baeisa

Note: Power BI is very similar, i.e. only adding one line of URL link.